The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-16-2020, 09:57 PM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

Default Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Discussion (Most likely SPOILERS)

Announced yesterday, Strange New Worlds focuses on the U.S.S. Enterprise under Anson Mount's Captain Christopher Pike, featuring Rebecca Romijn as Number One (named amusingly as "Una") and Ethan Peck as Spock.

A warning: right now, rumors are abound and some of them are very big trolls set up to expose some more toxic elements of the Trek fanbase. For example, a month ago someone made up some rumors on 4chan that exposed a group of YouTube channels that were going over only negative viewpoints about Discovery and Picard, exposing them as not having any real sources and repeating negative points. I'll update this post once I find the video again, it's in my history I just have to wade through a bunch of stuff to find it because I didn't watch it on YouTube.

UPDATE: Found it!

Last edited by Flying Gremlin; 05-16-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 AM
You just activated his Trek card

To me Strange New Worlds will always be the "authorized fanfic" collections.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
To me Strange New Worlds will always be the "authorized fanfic" collections.
Indeed. I remember those books! Seems like a fitting title to the collected adventures of Pike and Co aboard the Discoprise.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 AM

Geez, I just realized that there will be four concurrent Trek series going on at one time if we count Lower Decks. Really hope the franchise doesn't get fatigue...
Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Supposedly Paramount will release each series spaced out over time, so they aren't all actually being dropped simultaneously.

They're all different enough, and I'm sure each have enough creatives focusing on just one series, that fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-12-2022, 12:56 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

One of the harsh lessons of the last few years is that Paramount is not messing around with their Trek announcements. They can announce something completely ridiculous like a Rick and Morty-style animated show, the kind of future-project talk for publicity that never used to go anywhere -- but nowadays if you wait long enough it really materializes.

And so, two years later, Strange New Worlds is upon us! So far I like it better than either of the other two live-action P+ shows, but while we're finally back to a traditional Trek premise and setting, the writing philosophy behind it is very much in line with the new stuff. It's not bad, but still missing the heart of Trek. Anyone else watching?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 06-18-2022, 12:05 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

I'm enjoying it thoroughly, although I've only seen the first three eps so far. Mi amore is only meh on it. I love Pike and Number One to bits. This Spock is solid. Uhurua is awesome! The blind Aenar engineer is fantastically cranky! So I'm in.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:50 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

To be more specific about a point in today's update, the two episodes I loved in this first season were numbers 6 and 10. 6 was ripped off wholesale from Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas", a brilliant short story which has somehow never been adapted till now, and Star Trek was just the place to do it (I sure hope they paid her estate something). 10 is today's season finale. If you haven't seen it, run, don't walk!

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction