The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

Old 07-05-2010, 04:43 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default Most Wanted (survey)

I've been meaning to conduct this little survey for ages. The tenth anniversary seems like a good time for it.

1. Which subsite(s) do you most look forward to new material from?

2. Which current show(s) would you most like to see covered at 5M.net? (Current means either running right now or renewed for next season.)

3. What other show(s), etc., would you like to see us do? (Etc. meaning not just shows; this is where you can suggest other stuff like books and videogames.)

I've separated 2 and 3 because current shows have an obvious advantage for drawing fans in. You can give multiple answers to each question, but put the most important one first.

Anyone is welcome to respond except me (and Zuke). Even guests can respond -- log in as user GuestAccount with the password "soon".

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 AM
You just activated his Trek card

1. ANY.

2. Smallville, actually. It's one of the few shows I try to watch new anymore.

3. Doing proper episodic anime fivers would be interesting. Not the series that have the same plot over and over, of course. I'd still like to take a stab at Trigun, but Haruhi or Love Hina might be fun, too.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

1. Any subsite for a show I've seen, which I think is any other than the OC.

2. Hm. My "current" watching of shows mainly involves watching them weeks or months later online or on DVD. Probably Doctor Who though.

3. A lot of the books I'd like to see fived are already made / being made into movies. Narnia, Harry Potter, LotR, etc. I'd be interested in seeing / writing more VG fivers, especially the popular Nintendo franchises.

A lot of the other new content I consume is little kid's videos and unless people really want to see a 5MWiggles or 5MSesameStreet, I'm not going to have much to contribute.

Oh, and Nate, if you're interested in fiving Smallville yourself, have at. Anything from Season 8 is fair game.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Derek, who is there to edit these hypothetical fivers, anyway? You tell me. The number of editors we have seems to be somewhere south of three. Why bother writing any fivers at all, that's what I'd like to know.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

ENT and Classic BSG.

2. Which current show(s) would you most like to see covered at 5M.net?
How about Merlin? S1 is already on DVD, S2 just finished in the U.S., and S3 is being filmed (or might have just finished) in Wales and France. I understand it's meant to be similar to Smallville, the show itself has plenty of comedy, and there's lots of room for Monty Python jokes. Lots and lots.

3. What other show(s), etc., would you like to see us do?
I actually thought about this a while ago, but I figured nobody would go for it (and that's still probably true): what about fiving some history? Examples: American presidents, Canadian presidents, painters, writers, styles of architecture... I know it's more "Cliff's Notes" than "fivers" but I think it could be funny.

George Washington: the first. Did the thing with the cherry tree. Wooden false teeth. Decent general. Rushmore 1.

Abraham Lincoln: Gave good speech. Civil war. Freed the slaves. Good sense of humor. Rushmore 2. Pay no attention to the JFK conspiracists.

Franklin Roosevelt: The one with polio who had four terms. Rushmore 3.
Theodore Roosevelt: Not the one with polio.

John Adams: Not his son.
John Quincy Adams: Not his father.

Benjamin Harrison: The filling in the Grover Cleveland sandwich.

John F. Kennedy: Sent us to the moon. Gave good speech. Pay no attention to the Lincoln conspiratists.

and Derek, I wouldn't mind a 5MSesame Street...

Last edited by evay; 07-06-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Canadian presidents
Prime Ministers.

Sir John A. Macdonald: Drunk. Built railroad. Still drunk. Unelected. Re-elected. Still drunk.

Sir Wilfred Laurier: Very important to high school history classes. Did many things, none of them memorable.

Mackenzie King: Prime Minister. Still Prime Minister. Still Prime Minister. Still Prime Minister. Not Prime Minister.

Trudeau: Roses. Pirouettes. Fuddle-duddle. Cuckolded by Mick Jagger. Way more interesting than any other PM.

Diefenbaker: Had a bunker. That is all.

NexGen, DS9.

2. Which current show(s) would you most like to see covered at 5M.net?
I don't actually watch any current shows. I got into Stargate about a month before it ended, and by the time I got caught up with ten seasons plus five of spinoff, Atlantis was over. Plus I don't get cable.

3. What other show(s), etc., would you like to see us do?
I'll let you know if I think of one.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

1. I'd have to say B5, on balance. I'm not entirely sure why (aside from that I like it, obviously).

2. I'm watching incredibly little TV at the moment. I don't even own one, what I do watch is online and mostly comedy. No ready answers there I'm afraid.

3. There's plenty of pompous drama out there, in terms of TV (The West Wing comes to mind, and I'm saying that as someone who likes it). Books are more problematic I think, so I guess my vague preference is for a bit more non-SF&F film/TV.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I've been meaning to conduct this little survey for ages. The tenth anniversary seems like a good time for it.

Doctor Who (I'm working on my contribution toward that, but it's coming slowly), DS9, videogames if I've played them, BSG and B5.

Quote:
2. Which current show(s) would you most like to see covered at 5M.net? (Current means either running right now or renewed for next season.)
To be honest, I watch very little TV at the moment beyond Doctor Who, let alone sci-fi. SG:U has turned out to be a rather disappointing pseudoclone of BSG. Some more 5 Minute Shakespeare would be good. Any interest in Five-Minute The Castle of Otranto?

Quote:
3. What other show(s), etc., would you like to see us do? (Etc. meaning not just shows; this is where you can suggest other stuff like books and videogames.)
Faction Paradox, but I'm probably one of about two people in this thread who knows what that is. And I have almost know idea how to parody it.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm View Post
Prime Ministers..
There ya go. That's why I would need that kind of fiving. I went to high school in two different states and I literally don't even know how many, uh, governmental sub-sections there are in Canada. (several provinces and some territories?) Hell, I learned more about Canada from watching Due South than I did in school. So a five-minute Canadian history would be both useful and interesting.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

0. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve this survey?

Yes. Absolutely. Make a news post about it for the front page. Or maybe add a line about it to the 10th anniversary blurb. Something like that.

Any of them, whether I follow / care about the original material or not, because I am hopeless like that. But particularly the Treks and, ummm . . . any fivers that are especially funny.

ALSO: I'm still hoping for the last parts for the previous "panel discussion" thing. Not to get you down or anything.

Doctor Who's about the only sci-fi one that I pay any attention to. Not that there are a lot of them going on right now, but . . . yeah. Don't worry about it though, I'm not fussy.

Nothing comes to mind. I'm quite happy puttering around in Miscellaneous. Speaking of which, I should add a survey to my sig. (he said quite meaningfully)

I had a fiver for a computer game going for a while, just for my own amusement, but I think I misplaced most of it.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 07-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

1) Doctor Who, Doctor Who, Doctor Who!

Well that and the Treks

2) Bones, Doctor Who and Futurama are the only current shows I follow and Bones and Futurama don't necessarily lend themselves to the format.

3) Wouldn't mind seeing some Quantum Leap.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Future's so bright ya gotta wear shades

Send a message via AIM to MmeBlueberry Send a message via Yahoo to MmeBlueberry

1. Any that are for shows I have seen. Or that Derek can give me recaps of so I can appreciate the jokes.

2. Eureka might be good.

3. Umm...I don't know. The history idea sounds fun. And we already have 5MShakespeare, so maybe some other well-known plays or novels.

(Side note: The links Derek's about to post are hilarious.)
Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by evay View Post
and Derek, I wouldn't mind a 5MSesame Street...
What amazes me about Sesame Street is how much of a sketch show it is. I mean, it's like SNL for 3-year-olds. Cookie Monster especially is hilarious with his inability to resist eating cookies and his rather clever, twisted, and scheming ways of getting them. This all applies to old SS, at least. We got the early years DVDs of SS and I'm rather amused at some of the sketches. We don't currently watch the new stuff, so I have no idea if this is still true. (though clearly the Matt Lauer bit leaves hope that things aren't terrible)

Last edited by Derek; 07-06-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

I don't remember Cookie being that snarky. Or maybe I just didn't notice as a toddler.

I think that's Frank Oz getting fed up with doing a kid's show. Patience, Frank. The Muppet Show will be your outlet.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
We got the early years DVDs of SS and I'm rather amused at some of the sketches.
They are riveting! I'm hoping to get all the early stuff on DVD, along with Electric Company, and the hell with anything post-Elmo. Oh, and Schoolhouse Rock has to be in there too. How else are my kids going to learn grammar, history, math, and science? I can still sing the preamble to the Constitution.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Future's so bright ya gotta wear shades

Send a message via AIM to MmeBlueberry Send a message via Yahoo to MmeBlueberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by evay View Post
I can still sing the preamble to the Constitution.
Schoolhouse Rock leaves out four words from the Preamble, so I never show that one to my kids when they're learning it. "I'm Just a Bill," though, we watch a few times.

Wait - change all but the first verb I used in that paragraph to past tense. I'm teaching math starting in the fall. No more civics. Gotta figure out new excuses for showing Trek clips in class.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Hmm, these are some fairly unexpected responses. Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHTMMM View Post
0. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve this survey?

Yes. Absolutely. Make a news post about it for the front page.
An excellent point, and one you shouldn't have had to make -- my plan was to link to it in an update later that day, but I was delayed. When that update's finished, it'll include the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valium
Any interest in Five-Minute The Castle of Otranto?
Heh, I read that in high school. I don't remember it well enough to do a fiver, but I'd certainly take one.

Nate: Have you ever heard of negative reinforcement? I've got the site back on its feet for the first time in years. Complaining now just sends the message that I'm wasting my time.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-07-2010, 06:03 AM

PM me if you really want a reply. Somehow I think you won't like it. [EDIT: I'm gonna do this, so nobody else answer. I don't want another thread hijacked. - Z]

Last edited by Zeke; 07-07-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBlueberry View Post
I'm teaching math starting in the fall. ...Gotta figure out new excuses for showing Trek clips in class.
Warp speed is calculated in logarithms.

Tribbles should be good for exponents.

The late Star Trek: The Magazine actually used to do filler articles on the percentage of episodes where various stereotypical events happened, like Kirk getting his shirt ripped, Voyager losing a shuttlecraft, Kirk getting the girl, etc. That's charts/statistics.

Bajor used a 26-hour clock, IIRC; that's a basis for teaching "clock math," or introducing the concept of base-something-other-than-10.

Instead of the usual "A train leaves Chicago at 3pm..." try "Enterprise leaves Vulcan on stardate 47523.1 traveling at warp 3..."
Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
When that update's finished, it'll include the link.
And a link to 5BC, too, I expect. All the more reason to get it completed.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs