The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2024, 03:06 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
So I just read an article saying that it was Mulgrew who torpedoed the Janeway/Chakotay romance...

PNQ: Would this have really worked?

Upon reflecting on it for a bit, I don't think it had any chance of working. Chakotay did a good job of playing a role that would attract her, but it wasn't feasible in the long term. For Janeway to be able to truly connect with him she would have to willingly remove her armor, and I don't think she's capable of that while commanding a ship.
I haven't watched Voyager much but it just feels like a forced romance between the male and female leads to me.

I agree she would have had a hard time lowering her armor to have a proper relationship.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 09-07-2024, 10:17 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Today on Reddit I found an interesting fan theory to explain how the NX-01 could be called Enterprise without messing up prior continuity...

In the timeline before the Borg or E-E went back in time, the NX-01 was not the Enterprise because there'd be no reason to use the name, it wasn't that special. So Dulmer and Lucsly were right in saying six Enterprises.

But then the crew of the E-E introduced Cochrane and Lily to the idea of a "starship Enterprise". So in the Post-First Contact timeline they decided to use the name for the NX-01.

Have I mentioned lately how the Mirror Universe exists because Beverly's attempts to wipe Cochrane and Lily's memories of the Borg and TNG crew failed and he flipped a coin?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:37 PM

PNQ: If you could wish for a Trek show to magically appear with age and time appropriate cast and crew, what would it be?

Let me give an example to clarify. Back in the '90s they were thinking of doing an Excelsior show with Takei, etc. So we'd be using Takei as he was in the early '90s, the established creative staff as they were in the early '90s, etc.

Or would you want to see the intended Phase II show, without Spock and with Decker and Ilia filling the proto-Riker and proto-Troi roles in the early '80s?

Do you think a TOS Season Four could've maintained the appropriate quality (if the budget went up from Season Two)?

Do you think Enterprise would've improved if they had a Season Five?

How about a post-Voyager show where they go back to the Delta Quadrant using some form of slipstream drive? Keep some of the Voyager cast but introduce new people, visit with Voyager guest stars, etc.? Neelix would just be a guest star, probably Chakotay would be replaced with a new guy who keeps Janeway on a leash, etc.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:42 PM

Inspired by Facebook...

PNQ: If the captain and first officer died at the same time and you had to promote the next most senior officer to be captain, which one would do the best job in the long term?

The Facebook post automatically jumped to Tuvok as the obvious choice, but I'd like to discuss the others: Scotty, Data (or would it be Crusher?), Dax, and Trip.

Personally I would go Beverly. Scotty has proven himself in a pinch but would never be happy in the big chair long term. Data as he was in TNG just wasn't ready yet (and they really should've expanded his role in Redemption Part Two-why was that just a two-parter again?). Jadzia proved herself in the Dominion War on a temporary basis, but would she be able to handle it long term? And Trip...was he ever in command? I don't remember (then again, I don't think I watched any of Season Four except for that stupid finale).

Old 09-09-2024, 04:41 PM

So Paramount is putting the pilots of the shows up for free on their YouTube channel, no doubt to drum up interest for Paramount Plus...

PNQ: Is "The Cage" the best choice to entice people who have never seen TOS to their service?

Not that it's a bad episode, but let's face it, this episode couldn't sell Star Trek to the networks, only the potential of a show. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" did a much better job, and if we're allowed to go beyond the pilots into any early episode, "Balance of Terror" is exciting and still shows the heart of the Trek ideal.

I won't even get into the differences between TOS Pike and SNW Pike, mainly because I don't know what they are. I know that I'll have to watch SNW one of these days, but I won't have the chance for a long time.

Old 09-09-2024, 09:23 PM

James Earl Jones died today, so it's time to ask the usual favorite role question. And just for variety's sake, Darth Vader is off the table.

Probably Mufasa for me. But if we want to get more obscure there's always The Sandlot and Field of Dreams. I haven't seen either since my childhood but you can't say he didn't give memorable performances.

Old 09-10-2024, 03:14 PM

PNQ: How often has there been a justifiable reason for the holodeck safeties to be turned off?

From an in-universe standpoint, of course. All I can think of is Data's Borg program in Descent. It's a foolhardy and dubious reason, but there was a reason.

Old 09-11-2024, 08:52 AM

An article asking whether or not Seven saved the show.

My biggest problem is the rather harsh Kes bashing...

PNQ: Was Kes really "a terrible character, saddled with an actress who didn't have the charisma needed to curry an audience and a fairly one-note character who was more trouble than she was worth"?

This surprised me. I liked Kes. The writing around Neelix and the love triangle with Tom was subpar, but that doesn't reflect on Lien's performance.

Old Today, 07:14 PM

Inspired by a YouTube video...

PNQ: Why was the Enterprise-A decommissioned after only seven years?

That's right, STIV was 2286, and STVII was 2293.

The simplest explanation of course is that the E-A was merely one of the older Constitution-II ships that was renamed to give to Kirk. The book Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise says that this happened to the Ti-Ho. Roddenberry suggested that it was the Yorktown which we saw damaged during the whale probe crisis. If this is true it could mean that the E-A had simply gotten too old to be considered for active duty anymore. Presumably all of the gremlins in the Excelsior had been rooted out by Sulu and Starfleet felt the design was ready for the flagship spotlight.

The Shatnerverse novels are a completely different timeline, of course, but there the E-A is decommissioned by one of Kirk's old rivals out of spite and scheduled to be destroyed in a weapons test. The E-A is later destroyed defending a planet.

The comics reveal that the E-A ended up in the fleet museum and Scotty visited it.

But what do you think?