The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Sturgeon was the actual name of the poor, poor sap in the episode. Â As was Green.

And was that a Canada joke?  Let's just say the only Canada jokes I'm qualified to make are about ketchup flavored potato chips (you lucky Canadian bastards you  :swear: )[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Marc"][color=#000000ost_uid0]This is a convention used (for instance in collective agreements and other such contracts) to make sure that one is referring to an unambiguous date and time.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Thanks for the explanation, Marc. I'm not sure how 12:01am makes the time unambiguous though. Isn't saying 2 in the morning just as ambiguous? If someone says to me that there will be a party starting on the 25th at 2am, do they mean the 2am on the actual morning of the 25th or the actual morning of the 26th? Doesn't the ambiguity come from the fact that people still consider early morning to be the night of the previous day?

Oh well. It doesn't matter much for me anyway. I'm not planning on seeing the first showing either way.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="ijdgaf"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Sturgeon was the actual name of the poor, poor sap in the episode. Â As was Green.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Okay. I remembered Green and Darnell, and their names are found in the credits on any number of sites. It's just been too long since I've seen this (or [iost_uid0]any[/iost_uid0] TOS, for that matter. )[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-04-2003, 04:02 AM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]>> I'm not sure how 12:01am makes the time unambiguous though. Isn't saying 2 in the morning just as
ambiguous? If someone says to me that there will be a party starting on the 25th at 2am, do they mean the 2am on the actual morning of
the 25th or the actual morning of the 26th? Doesn't the ambiguity come from the fact that people still consider early morning to be the
night of the previous day? <<

It's not ambiguous if you think of "dates" as opposed to "days". People often think of "days" as starting and stopping at unofficial points -- like when they get up and when they go to sleep, or in nighttime-versus-daytime terms. People who stay up past midnight are still in the same *day* as far as they're concerned (since their day ends when they go to sleep), but they've actually straddled two different *dates*.

For official purposes (and as far as the little clock at the bottom right corner of your computer's screen is concerned), a particular *date* (like December 25th, for instance) begins at midnight and ends the following midnight. So officially, 2 a.m. on the 25th can't be anything other than 2 a.m. on the 25th. It's vague time designations like "party starting on the morning of the 25th" (with no time given) that are open to misinterpretation and which could conceivably mean the 26th -- especially if you're already sloshed on eggnog at the time of the invitation.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah, theonering.net is where I heard about it. Â (For the record, they get news out way faster than the official site; I highly recommend it.)

[quoteost_uid0="Guest"]I would guess that the "participating theaters" will be announced immediately prior to tickets going on sale.[/quoteost_uid0]

Yeah, New Line hasn't revealed which theatres will be hosting the re-releases yet but I suspect they'll do so before December. Â I think I read that it would be in 20 theatres in Canada, but I can't remember where I saw that.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah, theonering.net is where I heard about it. Â (For the record, they get news out way faster than the official site; I highly recommend it.)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]They have the added benefit of being [iost_uid0]legible[/iost_uid0], for those of us without 21" monitors. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Marc"][color=#000000ost_uid0]For official purposes (and as far as the little clock at the bottom right corner of your computer's screen is concerned), a particular *date* (like December 25th, for instance) begins at midnight and ends the following midnight.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Right, and my computer thinks that the start of a new day begins at midnight, 12:00am. If my computer understands the idea that midnight belongs to the domain of the following day, why don't movie theatres?

(Not attacking you, Marc. I appreciate you trying to defend them, but I don't see how 12:00am on the 25th is any more ambiguous than 2:00am on the 25th. People don't start New Year's celebrations at 12:01am; they start at 12:00am.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think the reason they often play movies at 12:01am is that (a) it's the earliest they can do it on the given release date and (b) 12:00am could be argued as being ambiguous, i.e. actually still being the day before since it's the transition point. (Yes, common sense says otherwise, but since when is common sense actually common?) So, they use 12:01am, stay unambiguous, and play the movie at the earliest possible moment.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It doesn't matter whether they mark it down as 12:00 AM, 12:01 AM, or 12:05 AM, because they're going to show 20-25 minutes of "previews" anyway. [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 09-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]We had a problem with this at walmart, the night [iost_uid0]before[/iost_uid0]
the last harry potter book was releised. some smuck put on the sign "Buy it at midnight on June 20" so of course we had people showing up the night of the 19th looking for it. :eyeroll: what a headache. (couse the next night was worse.)[/colorost_uid0]