The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2024, 08:27 PM
You just activated his Trek card

DATA: The Enterprise contains a vast database of information which is managed by a sophisticated computer. This complex system gives the ship many of the characteristics of a biological organism.
RIKER: That's true. It sees with its sensors, it talks with its communications systems.
CRUSHER: In a sense, it almost reproduces with the replicators.

This is the first half of an argument, but they didn't actually tie it together into a logical conclusion.

PICARD: If the ship is truly an emerging intelligence, then we have a responsibility to treat it with the same respect as any other being.

While I don't dispute this, it seems like a huge leap. Even if the ship develops an intelligence, there's no sign yet that it will develop a singular consciousness, much less sentience.

(in the middle of the floor, a 3d version of the jigsaw is growing with a light inside it)

It seems odd that the ship decided to build this thing in a random cargo bay and use short-range transporter signals to do it. Why not just use the larger replicators that we've already seen on board?

LAFORGE: It looks like the ship's replicator and transporter systems have been merged somehow. to create this.

The replicator is a subset of the transporter. I repeat the last comment. This thing doesn't have to be in the cargo bay because it's going to phase out of the ship.

LAFORGE: Counsellor, we haven't been able to re-establish the safeties.
CRUSHER: The injuries you suffered on the holodeck weren't severe, but next time they might kill you.
TROI: I'm aware of that.

Putting aside the fact that this is a necessary mission, couldn't they at least put on some armor before returning to the holodeck? Or at least beam a period-accurate radio into the holodeck and communicate with the inhabitants through that?

PICARD: Vertion particles. Vertiform City. That's what the ship was looking for.

Why not just call it Vertion City?

LAFORGE: Captain, you'd better take a look at this. When the particle beam cut off, the object was beginning to form a coherent energy matrix. Now, if these readings are accurate, I'd say that the emission patterns were almost organic.

Ugh. Not all life forms are organic, etc.

LAFORGE: The ship has diverted all of our systems to maximum propulsion, including life support. We have less than two hours of reserve oxygen.

What? Putting aside the fact that once again the writers are thinking that life support is just providing oxygen, I expect that a ship this big would have a stockpile of oxygen on standby for manual distribution. Furthermore we know that the ship has designated shelter areas to focus life support power to a small fraction of the ship instead of the whole thing.

DATA: I can get us there more quickly. I know a shorter route.

How does Data know how the train's control correlate to the actual heading of the ship? Furthermore the whole thing has to figurative because a train can't alter it's heading, only control the speed.

PICARD: Then the purpose of the ship's intelligence was simply to bring this life form into being.
CRUSHER: There are some species whose sole purpose is to reproduce. Once they finally procreate, they die.

And not a single one of said species is sentient or even arguably intelligent. Trek has a terrible habit of shoehorning metaphors.

DATA: Captain, you took a substantial risk in allowing the Enterprise to complete its task.
PICARD: Why do you say that?
DATA: Because the end result was unknown. The object could have been dangerous. It may in fact, be dangerous.
PICARD: And I have allowed it to go off on its merry way.
DATA: Yes, sir.
PICARD: The intelligence that was formed on the Enterprise didn't just come out of the ship's systems. It came from us. From our mission records, personal logs, holodeck programs, our fantasies. Now, if our experiences with the Enterprise have been honourable, can't we trust that the sum of those experiences will be the same?

I already put this scene on the TNG heartwarming TV Tropes page.

The Fiver

Picard: Shall we try it once more from the beginning? Data, what are you doing with that kettle? I already had my Earl Grey.
Data: You need not make such a fuss over it, Captain. I am merely trying to perform The Tempest in a teapot.

That pun hurt.

Conductor: Let me see your tickets.
Data: Um....
Conductor: I find your lack of tickets disturbing.
Riker: Let me do the talking. I know how to handle these situations. (waving fingers) You don't need to see our tickets.
Worf: We're not with him.

Ha ha.

Troi: Could you please tell me what the last station this train visits is?
Conductor: This is the Orient Express.
Troi: Yes, but that's not my question. Tell me what the last station is.
Conductor: Don't you read History? This is the Orient Express! What do you think the last station is? Winnipeg? Moose Jaw?

Um, the Orient Express traveled in both directions between Europe and Istanbul, so where did this joke come from?

Mobster: You need an education... it's just another brick in the wall.

I was introduced to Pink Floyd's The Wall by an old classmate. It's a long story.

La Forge: I think this is what we're looking for... Detecting lots of vertion particles....
Picard: There's moose in that nebula!

I get the feeling that at the end of the day one of the few bits of Voyager that will endure in geek culture is the line "there's coffee in that nebula!"

Memory Alpha

* Rick Berman had a problem with the shot where the train wheels braked because nobody was around to see it. I think he gets uptight about the weirdest things sometimes. I'm especially reminded of the helium football episode of Mythbusters. Adam has football helmets for Jamie and himself to wear, Jamie doesn't seem the point. Adam remarks that sometimes Jamie seems to forget that they're shooting a TV show meant for entertainment.

Nitpicker's Guide

* Phil also mentions the armor (or rather bulletproof vest) thing.
* Data, Troi, and Worf enjoy champagne with the holodeck characters, yet when the program shuts down they're still holding glasses, and Phil has a problem with this. He seems to forget that the holodeck can replicate simple objects.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.