View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][iost_uid0]Slovenia can also be driven from end to end, from Croatian border to Austrian border inside 40 minutes.[/iost_uid0]

That's side to side, not end to end.

[iost_uid0]And there are also Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino... teeny weeny countries![/iost_uid0]

But those aren't real countries. Liechtenstein is a rental property, Andorra is co-ruled by France and a Spanish bishop, Monaco is destined to become French when the Prince dies without heir...

There are a bunch of Pacific nations with a greater share of the globe than Singapore but less land area, since they consist of some specks of coral and vast tracts of water.

According to this, Singapore ranks 174 of 193.

Slovenia is 150, Croatia 123, Israel 149, Nederlands 131, Canada 2, USA 4. Did I miss anyone?

Ontario ranks between Bolivia and Mauritania (27 and 28), Quebec between 18 and 19 (Mongolia and Peru)*, Saskatchewan between 39 and 40 (Myanmar and Afghanistan) and BC between 30 and 31 (Tanzania and Nigeria).

* - this seems wrong. I was always led to believe that Ontario was the largest province, not Quebec. Maybe there's some trickery counting freshwater area - or possibly my teachers were all Anglo propagandists. Or my memory is faulty. That seems most likely.

Sources for provinces: http://www.statcan.ca/english/Pgdb/phys01.htm[/colorost_uid0]