Thread: Forums are slow
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Default Forums are slow

Is it just me, or are the forums slow? Because if it's just me, then it's pretty impressive since I have the same problems connecting from both work and home.

Anyway, I know we're going to be moving to the new software soon, but I think I've figured out why the boards come up so slowly... Xeroc's script times out.

If you go to http://xeroc.zapto.org/whoison.php?colors=light (which is where 5M.net tries going), you'll just keep waiting and waiting and waiting. And that seems to be what's happening for me on Firefox. The top part of the page loads quickly, and if I view the page source at that time, I can see that the entire page loads, but for whatever reason, Firefox doesn't want to finish rendering the page until it hears from Xeroc's site, and it never does.

So... could the script either be fixed to return more quickly? Or could it be removed? Or am I the only one getting this error?