View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]And "hangovers" becomes "undertows". "Sweet" becomes "candy", which makes sense, because the two words are the same in Spanish...

A new site has been brought to my attention. :bigsmile: Whoohoo provides translations into any of various UK dialects. It seems to be geared toward vocal translations, and the results reflect that with the elongated vowelage and such. Here's an example from "Babel":

[quoteost_uid0]Quaaark: computah, make myself ah rooht ah pint of finest foaming ale.
computer: zap! you, my old bean, aaare ah rooht ah pint of finest foaming ale!
odo: zap! one was ah caaart!
quaaark: awfully disgraceful.[/quoteost_uid0]
"ah rooht ah pint of finest foaming ale"... :lol:

"Cathexis" in the "Geordie" dialect, whatever that is (Irish-ishness at a guess):
[quoteost_uid0]Tuvok: sum alien ship neor a nebula zapped wor. if wuh gan back mebbies they'll gerrus chakotay's soul back. or munch on the rest iv wor souls, but whativvor.
janeway: tuvok! yas neet supposed tuh be exposed until the end iv the episode!
tuvok: oh, um, aye. reet. forget ah says that.[/quoteost_uid0]

And in Cockney that same passage reads:
[quoteost_uid0]Tuvok: sum alien 'appeny dip near a nebula zapped us. if we Scapa Fla Hammer and Tack maybe they'll give us chakotay's soul Hammer and Tack. or eat the chuffin' George Best of our souls, but whatever.
janeway: tuvok! you're not supposed ter be exposed until the bloomin' end of the episode!
tuvok: oh, um, yeah. wite. forget I said that.[/quoteost_uid0]
[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs