View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

I too really enjoy BSG, even the bad episodes (and they are there for sure) I still enjoy seeing all the characters I love and love to hate. I agree that all the Trek-bashing and "the show can do no wrong" attitude that some of the fans have is silly, but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the show. But yeah, I am always leery of bandwagon things, hence why I waited so long to read Ender's game (good), Harry Potter (good), The DaVinci Code (bleh) and watch Lost (meh). And sure, it is a dark show, but I like to have a dark show to watch at times. I don't try and argue if a show is ground breaking or whatever, I haven't seen enough TV to argue that, but I know a couple of the best episodes IMO really hit me hard emotionally. Also, I do think the cast is pretty good which doesn't hurt them at all. They made some of the badly written episodes into something halfway decent

As for TOS, it did use the universe to tell the stories it wanted to tell, hence why it seems so black and white. NG has its faults, but c'mon, it has Picard and Data and Worf. Sure, they still told some moral stories, but they started to say "Hey, we have this cool universe, let's play!" DS9 is still my favorite Trek series as it had such cool political, religious, etc. stories to tell. I think often because it took some risks, it had some really great episodes and the few terrible ones, but overall, I loved that show. I watched all of Voyager and I liked the show fine but was disappointed as I felt it had the potential to be more, but Jim's Reviews did make me kinda fall in love a bit I watched the 1st season and some of the 2nd season of Enterprise, but I just never really got into the show. Someday I would like to watch it all though as I have heard good things about it from people I tend to agree with.