View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 12:05 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Returning to Trek 11, from this article...

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2009/05...e-annotations/

"Romulan military normally wear dark, checkered uniforms, sometimes involving sashes, and have haircuts similar to most Vulcans. However, Nero and his crew are traditionally miners, as he explains, and have different outfits entirely. Their shaved heads and tattoos were an effort by Abrams to distinguish them further from the Vulcans, as he did not want to confuse new fans who were unfamiliar with Trek lore and might assume that Nero was an "evil Vulcan" rather than a member of a completely different culture and society."

Oh, come on! We're not talking about Rigellians here (they're a fairly obscure Vulcanoid race mostly seen in the novels, think friendly emotional Vulcans in a strong clan system), they're Romulans! Romulans appeared in The Original Series and looked identical to Vulcans except for haircuts and uniforms, and NOBODY confused them!

Besides, "evil Vulcan" is as succinct a definition of "Romulan" as I've ever heard. How else can you describe them (except with "and they don't believe in controlling all emotion")?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.