View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 11:33 AM
You just activated his Trek card

November 29th, 1968, "Wink of an Eye"

Fiver (by Marc)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The Episode

* The science is inconsistent and ridiculous all over the place. The biology, the acoustics, the chronology, everything. As CinemaSins would put it, lets just give it 50 sins up front so I don't have to mention every occurrence.
* In this episode the industrial scale is numbered, but back in "Spock's Brain" they used letters. Illogical.
* The Scalosians wait until there are five people left before sending out a general distress call?

* At least this time they cite a reasonable offscreen population, nine hundred thousand in this instance. Although thinking of almost a million corpses might be off-putting before bed on Friday night in the sixties.
* Deela mentions that the transport took a long time. If she lives many factors of magnitude faster than us, imagine how long five seconds would be! Reg Barclay would completely flip out by the time he beamed aboard!
* Kirk lets the Scalosians leave? They're guilty of kidnapping, murder, sabotage...

The Fiver

Kirk: I wonder why the aliens didn't keep us out of this room?
Spock: Perhaps they intend this to be a show of force. We are being allowed to look but not to touch.
Kirk: Sounds a lot like my first date with Antonia.

Antonia is one of Trek's biggest mysteries. Even the expanded universe doesn't give many more details about her. Sometimes I wish they'd kept the original intention and put Carol Marcus there.

Kirk: I'm impressed. You didn't even bother to hurry when you stepped out of its way.
Deela: That's one of the things you have to be careful about when you're hyperaccelerated. If you move too quickly, the air friction will set your clothes on fire.

She obviously hasn't mastered the use of the Speed Force yet. Hehe.

Memory Alpha

* One of the rare instances where it's clearly indicated that Kirk slept with the alien babe of the week. It doesn't happen as often as you'd think.

Nitpicker's Guide

* Phil omits the phaser dodge and estimate that the Scalosians live at least eight hundred times faster than we do. In which case, the crew wouldn't have enough time to do anything to stop them. Oops. So much would be solved if the Scalosians were just out of phase with us, right?
* How did the Scalosians stay invisible during transport when everything is frozen?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.