View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 AM
You just activated his Trek card

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/blog/15620

Here we go again...

1. Was it strictly necessary for Kirk to be born during this emergency? If Winona was in fact an officer (a concept that spits in the face of my personal Nate-canon), why is she still on duty as a heavily-pregnant woman again? Especially during a crisis. Couldn't the plot equally be served with him as a five-year-old visiting the ship? His father could still save him, and every other part of the film's "plot" would work just as well, and this prelude scene could've used up less screentime as well.
2. What was the purpose of driving a car off the cliff again? An action sequence? The director does realize we're going to have much more impressive space battles later, right?
3. So the Enterprise is being built in Riverside for some reason, so presumably in this new timeline Riverside is a much more important location to Starfleet. That still doesn't explain what Academy cadets are doing there. Maybe the engineering students, but Uhura? Can you say "shoehorned"? I knew you could!
4. Actually, I don't have that much of a problem with the Enterprise being built ten years late. If that's what it takes to explain the newer tech (the Kelvin disaster forced Starfleet engineers to reevaluate every part of their designs), so be it. But why Riverside? You still need to build a shipyard to build the ship! And shipyards take MUCH longer to build than the ships that will be built there. You're telling me a shipyard capable of building the Enterprise was built in like five years? Can you say "implausible"?
5. Seriously, were the bad guys just hanging around for 25 years doing absolutely nothing? You can't even toss in a temporal anomaly to freeze them in time for that long?
6. Spock is a professor? Um, what?
7. "All the cadets are pressed into emergency service because the bulk of Starfleet is in the Laurentian System." Unless the Borg are attacking, the bulk of Starfleet should never be in one system, or even one sector! And what about the professors at the Academy? Or those on leave elsewhere on Earth? Or the umpteen outposts elsewhere in the solar system?
8. "A cadet...that was under academic suspension for cheating...was made acting First Officer...and is now assuming command." Again, what? And a few dozen more times for good measure, WHAT? Starfleet has a strict rank system, right? Whoever has the highest rank is in command. And "cadet" is hardly a rank, much less eligible for placement in the line of succession. Was it IMPOSSIBLE to do another time skip and have Kirk as a lieutenant helmsman or something so he still has to jump through hoops, but at least is in the line of succession?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.