View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm View Post
I seem to recall that the crazy-spinny-unpilotable-ship was outfitted and sent out *after* the star blew up.
I don't remember that at all. It arrived after the star blew up; is that what you're thinking of?

Quote:
However, since star systems tend to be light years apart and explosions travel at subliminal velocities, there should have been millions of years before the explosion got there
Actually, I believe (off the top of my befuddled morning-head) that an exploding star releases enough nasty EM radiation--which does travel at the speed of light--to make its neighborhood miserable for us carbon-based life-forms. We should be glad we don't have any Betelgeuses (for example) sitting on our interstellar doorstep. This radiation would still be travelling at a rate of one light-year per year, granted, but it would arrive much sooner than you said. Plus, since this is ST, one can always say "Well, there are a lot of icky tachyons released in the explosion, so there!"

Still, this is all academic, since that radiation would have been largely released in the actual explosion and therefore it would be too late for Spock to do anything about it. So he can only have been trying to deal with the matter part of the explosion, which, as you say, would travel at less than the speed of light.

Quote:
Therefore, since the plot so clearly violates the laws of physics, it can't have happened, therefore the move never happened, therefore we can all stop embracing the worst of geek stereotypes over it.

Ignore is a much better option than Contort Into Canon or Petulant Hissyfit.
I like this way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
I think that the best way to explain Spock's reticence regarding the cuprit, whether natural or artificial (plus his obvious failure to explain radical violations of every known law of physics in the destruction of Romulus) is to suppose that Spock knew who it was, and that he left it out because explaining would have had dramatic, immediate, local effects on the "new" universe.
Oooh, that's possible.

I can't see Spock being responsible for the star's destruction, however. Even if he tried a stunt like that, he'd go for a star in a totally uninhabited system in a totally uninhabited neighborhood. (Or, it being the TNG-DS9-VOY era, he'd call up Geordi or someone else to technobabble him up a phenomenon that would imitate a supernova well enough to fool the Nexus. )

Quote:
As Roberto Orci observed, it is takes place chronologically in 2233 - 2258, but, causally speaking, it takes place after Star Trek Nemesis.
Is that deduced from events in the movie, or did someone connected with the movie have to come out and say that, or what? I've been wondering about when in the original timeline this was supposed to be occurring.

Quote:
Anything you choose to accept or not to accept is your own personal deal, but it has nothing to do with canon. You're creating your own Nate-canon, which is unique to you and distinct from every other fan's definition of canon in the whole wide world
*nods emphatically*

Quote:
For the record, the interconnectedness of the new novels is bad because (as is traditional in Trek novels) about half of them are horrible. Awful beyond words.
Wow. I've read rather a large number of novels (nowhere near all of them, and none that have come out in the past five years or so), but there haven't been more than a dozen or so that I'd call horrible. There are a lot that I consider mediocre, being as they are uninspired, paint-by-number plots.

I guess you just have higher standards than I do.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs