View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
With this movie there was no Reset Button. The universe has been changed (and billions of Vulcans present and future NO LONGER EXIST!) and will not be changing back.
Eh, it's sci-fi. If you can bring one Vulcan back to life, it's unlikely that you'll have much difficulty doing the same for the entire race.

Personally, I don't think it's over yet. The problem with Romulus has yet to be fixed -- and, as Canon clearly demonstrates, Spock is incapable of screwing up on such a high level. So I fully expect the next movie or so to deal with Old Spock finding a way to avoid the destruction of Romulus, or at least that of its people.* Possibly by sending a message to his old universe to warn himself to get on the ball sooner. What would that do, if successful, to his new timeline? I don't know, although you could easily make an argument for it staying intact, but Spock would be satisfied with creating a/another timeline in which all those Romulan deaths were avoided.

* This is one of the weaker parts of the plot, I think. I won't knock the "red matter" technobabble per se, but why is the star blowing up so early? Rather, how is it blowing up at all, without someone seeing it coming decades or centuries in advance? I may have missed something in the dialogue, but stars don't generally spontaneously get a stomachache one day and then go kerplooie a few weeks later. It takes a while.

So I am left to assume that either A: some unknown entity induced the star to explode or B: the Romulan government is, collectively, about as short-sighted and stupid as a totalitarian government can be. Because that's the only scenario I can think of to explain why gobs of Romulans were evidently still in the system when an undisturbed star blew its top. Especially if this occurs after ST:VI.

Now, Nero the miner doesn't have to pick up on this (nice characterization of him, by the way -- rough and uncultured without being an idiot bumpkin). Spock, however, ought to have thoughts along one of these sets of lines . . . and yet his speech and actions suggest nothing of the sort whatsoever. If B is the case, he could have told Kirk "I could not get there in time. I [or the Federation] could not even convince the Romulan government to move their in-system citizens out of harm's way." That would be in line with his purpose of explaining Nero's motives and with his refusing to avoid blame. If A is the case, Spock could have expressed curiosity in passing about the means of inducing a nova, or the identity or motive of the attacker. Even the simple "The Romulan sun was, somehow, about to go nova" would have been entirely reasonable dialogue while giving some indication that the writers had thought about the situation a bit. And then you even have an obvious hook for a future story in the novels or a movie: Who caused that, and why? And who else might they try it on . . . ?

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs