Thread: June 5
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Gatac"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Can't figure out the third Insectoid line, but other than that...[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Usually somebody posts the answer when I encode lines like that, but it looks like that's not going to happen this time, so I'll just tell you. Switch each two consecutive letters. So that third line, "Hwzaaz?", decodes as "Whazza?"

[quoteost_uid0](Gatac)
Same here, Scooter, same here. Especially since I've never seen Ringu.[/quoteost_uid0]

Yeah, my obsession with [iost_uid0]The Ring[/iost_uid0] often leads me to make needless references to it (see "Carpenter Street"). Couldn't resist in this case because Hoshi really [iost_uid0]did[/iost_uid0] appear with a scary disfigured face, and hey, she's Asian. The dialogue references my [iost_uid0]Ring[/iost_uid0] fiver.

The overwhelming parallel this episode had for me, though -- more than [iost_uid0]Ring[/iost_uid0], certainly more than Metroid, and maybe even more than "One" -- was to Stephen King's [iost_uid0]The Shining[/iost_uid0]. That's where I'm going with "Torrance," "all work and no play," and Room 217 (which is from the book; it was 237 in the movie).

[quoteost_uid0](Marc)
>> Phlox: ...fifty-eight, fifty-nine, sixty! Sixty-one....
The situation also allows me to go skipping rope down the corridors whenever I please without fear of discovery. <<

There's something strangely familiar about this scene. [/quoteost_uid0]

You know it. Those who didn't catch that should reread Marc's very first fiver, "One." The skipping line had me rolling at the time, and it's still my nostalgic favourite Marc line. In an episode which was practically a remake of "One," how could I not pay homage to it?[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction