View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[quoteost_uid0="sweetclover"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Not individuals' names, but Vulcan, Romulus, and Remus are all out of mythology. Someone else can tell you the specifics; I'm tired. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Romulus and Remus were twins abandoned by their mothers who were nursed by a she-wolf. They went on to found Rome, although when Remus was chosen to rule, Romulus killed him.

I have no idea why the PTBs named the planet "Reman" in [iost_uid0]Nemesis[/iost_uid0]. It was referred to as Remus in TOS. *grinds teeth* Although, it's called "Romii" on StarTrek.com. Ugh.

Vulcan was the Roman's name for Hephaestos, the misshapen and deformed Greek god of the forge and metalworking. Which makes sense, given the planet's heat, and... er... heat.

Plenty of other myth references as well. The ship Bashir was on in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"--AKA "Ross Can't Pronounce Latin Worth Beans"--was called [iost_uid0]Bellerophon[/iost_uid0]. He was a king who killed the chimera and, for his hubris, was thrown to his death by Pegasus when he attempted to fly to Olympus.

Bit of an omen, I'd say.[/colorost_uid0]