View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 06:27 AM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

They have plenty of reasons to do it, the biggest one being the Romulans are playing Batman Gambit with the galaxy because they think they are preventing the robopocalypse.

Okay, so I took a break from writing here, and the final episode premiered. If you do not want to pay for it, CBS All Access opened up their free portal for a 30-day trial or something like that in the States, so go nuts and watch. Otherwise, bugger off, I'm gonna be spoilering the entire season in this little review here. You hath been warned.

I may be ever the optimist about Trek, not gonna lie, and I really liked Picard. It's definitely not the Trek we were used to - modern Trek appears very serialized and not episodic at all, and you have to examine the seasons as wholes in order to get the Big Picture(™). Would certain details be done differently if I was in charge? To quote F8, Hell yeah. Do I think it was perfect? No, but it was entertaining, which is what I ask of anything.

The fact that they were operating under fear and, as Picard had mentioned, without a guiding hand seemed to be a central theme, or as close to a central theme as we could get in this series. Looks like Admiral Picard was indeed the father figure they needed.

The true death of Data was handled very, very respectfully and was a touching moment. I cried. Many a person I have spoken to has reported the same feeling. I am glad this arc is complete.

So for the problems that were present:
  • The Borg cube/Artifact hitting the planet, unless it was falling like a feather would have made sufficient seismic issues for the people living on the planet. Seriously, why wasn't this mentioned or addressed? The giant space orchid defenses (no, seriously, more on this later) couldn't have softened that blow so delicately for that big of an object.
  • Speaking of, giant orchid orbital defense system? Granted, they're pretty, but they seem unnecessarily complex.
  • A synth can mind meld. I repeat, a synth, or an artificial being like Data, can mind meld. I'll let Nate rage about that one for me, I still don't like it.
  • ANOTHER Soong that looks exactly like the others. That is not how genetics works (though I have an excellent fan theory on this one, if you ever want to hear about it).
  • Narissa, seriously, stop avoiding death so easil- oh, right, you were Sparta kicked down a deep hole at the end. Unless they end up reversing this and she uses an escape transporter again, which is quite possible considering if she was falling from a height of about 500 meters down the middle of that Borg cube it would have taken her a little over 7 seconds to reach the bottom give or take for local gravity PLEASE DON'T MAKE THIS HAPPEN MICHAEL CHABON I WILL PAY YOU TO NOT MAKE THIS HAPPEN
  • Speaking of hard to kill Romulans, where did Narek go at the end?
  • Why did the super-synth race (BTW, Word of God says they were created by the T'kon Empire) look like a combination of CONTROL and that Insecurity virus from Ralph Breaks the Internet?
  • Picard's death and resurrection, they might as well have just called the golem Soong asked Juroti to work on "Chekov's Gun".
  • They should have made Riker a Fleet Captain or a Commodore. Okay, this one is minor, but come on.
  • Okay, so I am going to bring up the biggest criticism of the show, in that there was only one class of Starfleet ship in the showdown at the synth planet. This was actually due to a time crunch for the VFX artists - they didn't have the time to do any more models, and honestly with how complex some of the models are I understand, but it makes it look like Starfleet only has one class of ship to field. Put an old Galaxy on the front lines, you definitely had one of those models built.
  • So now Picard is a synth. This raises so many questions, I could make a thread just discussing those questions.

I think that about sums it up for the last few episodes. There's plenty of 'shipping to do in this series - Juroti/Rios, Seven/Raffi, Hugh/Elnor - so I fully expect any Fivers to have abbreviations.