View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM
Wink

My point is, we don't have to go through national-level bureaucracies to start to fix this problem. The U.S. government is "of the people, by the people, for the people" (and an awful lot of other countries are democracies or republics too, of course), so we have the ultimate power ourselves, on the individual level, right? Going through a humongous, diffuse bureaucracy to handle a problem that is MUCH better to deal with (IMHO) on the individual level seems to me like trying to eat peas with a crocheting needle. One of those big, blunt crocheting needles.

But that requires enough non-poor people in a wide-enough area of influence caring enough about the impoverished to help them enough that they are no longer impoverished (or if they are still impoverished, it's their own faults). And you can't legislate caring any more than you can legislate morality, so you never hear about this on Capitol Hill or talk shows.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs