View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudshark
Kira, it occurs to me to add:

Thank you for calling it Five-minute Star Wars, instead of that incredibly lame, tacked-on-22-years-after-the-fact, really stupid "A New Hope" boojazz. Revisionism should only be allowed to go so far, even where George Lucas is concerned. (Next up, folks: a rant upon "Hikaru" -- sheesh! :roll: )

[Disclaimer: this post will make absolutely no sense to most of you -- don't worry about it.]
A little silly (imo) to complain about calling the movie Episode 4 (which it was), A New Hope (the title at the beginning of the movie, for Pete's sake), or Star Wars (the original merchandising title). It's not really revisionism--Star Wars was always Episode 4, A New Hope, and I heard people calling it that in 1977. Now they're just putting it on the box.

I usually refer to it as Episode 4 just so there's no question of whether I'm referring to the film or the franchise (but then, I'm a pedantic nerd myself). Since there are five Star Wars films, soon to be six, what's wrong with a little clarity every once in a while? Why do people get upset about these things? So what if they're changing the marketing now?

But then, I was one of those people who was pleased somebody filled in the gaping hole that was Sulu's first name, so clearly I'm a grade A maroon on that score, too.

Anyway this is all off topic. Great work Kira, and eagerly awaiting "Episiode 6"! (psst--is it O.K. to call it that?) [/i]