View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Quote:
Originally Posted by evay
wow, I'm sorry you feel that way. I find Shakespeare still relevant (MacBeth for politics, Othello for politics and jealousy, Julius Caesar for politics, Romeo and Juliet for headstrong teenage rebellion and the giddy rush of first love, lots of the sonnets can break your heart -- just off the top of my head) and his language sparkles. What did you read, or what kind of teacher did you have, that the Bard came off so poorly to you? You've never seen a single film adaptation of Hamlet you enjoyed? Never watched a single stage performance of any of the plays you liked?
Ok yeah, there are some aspects that are ok. As you say, the love the R&J felt for each other, and the tragic nature of Macbeth.
Macbeth was one that we studied. I found it drawn out, and quite frankly, dull. The same with R&J (R&J? That sounds like a Deptment store...! lol). But my biggest bone is with 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. I was looking forward to that. A comdey? That will brighten up English class (After essay's on euthanasia and the genocide of World War Two!).
But brighten up?
I have yet to find and humor in the whole thing! Because (I feel) it's no longer relevent to today.... The humor is no longer funny.
But my teacher certainly tried to sell him. She was a fantastic English teacher, though and utterly loved Shakespeare.
I just dislike that so much time is spent in schools studying it. I really think they should open up (Certainly in England) and look at other books/authors. Like I said, I think Agatha Christie is certainly under used. The women is a humor nature genius!
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------