View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 03:06 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Default Gainful Employment

So, my sessional contract at Lakehead University is ended, and I've got something lined up for the next year. Having 12 months of employment is pretty unusual in my line of work, but the place I got hired is damn cool.

The Sudbury Neutrino Observatory. It's the biggest science project Canada has left.

It's a particle physics facility buried 2km down a nickel mine. I'll be the token chemistry, since particle physicists don't know how to chemistry. They want me to clean the trace uranium and thorium out of their detector medium.

It's not every job interview where you and the interviewer get naked. The facility is under cleanroom protocols, so everybody going in has to shower.

I thought I was done with research, but you don't say no to SNOLab. There's potential to continue the contract at the end of the year, but I suspect that's as much as I can stand living in Sudsbury. Hopefully my TV career will have taken off by then.