View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Sorry, I know next to nothing about 2001, except that the familiar "dun...dun...dun...dundun!" comes from it. (Right?)
And you call yourself a sci-fi fan?!

2001, without doubt, is the single most important sci-fi creation of the 20th Century.

Nothing else even comes close, in intelligence, beauty, design, reality, good thinking-through, complexity...

Heck, it wasn't made that long after TOS, and still looks more real than Enterprise did.

2001 has inspired, blown minds, shaped people.

Quite simply, it is a gem of immeasurable wonder.

The only downside is the lack of character interaction on the level that you get in TV shows...

For character interaction, the prize, though I am loath to admit it, goes to Blakes' 7. Simply because it was the first, and in many ways the best at developing characters in an ongoing manner. Who played with it, (The Edge of Destruction being a good example...), but didn't really latch onto the idea.

Coming in close second for intelligent plot that makes you think, if we can extend this to all sci-fi, is the game 'Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords'. It breaks the SW mould, it makes you think, and yes, it's a little cliched, but it works well. The characters are a little theatrical in their dialogue, it's true - "There are dark places in the galaxy, where few tread...Ancient centres of learning, of knowledge..." - and the character of Kreia (possibly based on Iago?) being a prime example.

For storytelling and narrative pace, I plump for Doctor Who, particularly from 1974-1978-ish, when it was under the aegis of Philip Hinchcliffe and Robert Holmes. They perfected the gothic horror feel, and the stories are still fresh (if a little old-fashioned) today.

Most entertaining current sci-fi: The 4400. I just like this show. I can't explain why, it's just...good. It's got the right balance between characters etc. Whether it really counts as sci-fi, I'm not sure.

Best current sci-fi: BSG - simply because a) it's very good, and b) there isn't much competition. I love the whole pseudo-religious thing going on, the directoral style I think is very refreshing, the writing and the inclusion of moral dilemmas, the dialogue, Tricia Helfer...

Best sci-fi of the last ten years: DS9, joint with B5.

Worst sci-fi in existence ever: Torchwood. What a pile of balls.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!