View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 08:54 PM
You just activated his Trek card

May 14th, 1990, "Sarek"

Transcript
Fiver (by IJD GAF)
Memory Alpha

The Episode

Captain's log: Stardate 43917.4 The Enterprise has been given the singular honour of hosting the first meeting between the Federation and a mysterious race known as the Legarans.

Um, Sarek started talking with these guys 93 years ago. That doesn't count as a "first meeting" with the Federation?

Captain's log: We are in orbit around Vulcan, preparing to welcome aboard Federation Ambassador Sarek and his wife Perrin, who like his first wife, is from Earth.

Um, Sarek's first wife wasn't Amanda, it was Sybok's mother the Vulcan princess (known as T'Rea in the novels).

It's interesting to note that nothing expressly contradicts the notion that there were wives in between Amanda and Perrin. Amanda died in 2293 (if you believe the novel Sarek) or 2311 (if you believe the novel "The Fire and the Rose). That's over fifty years for there to be other wives. Then again, a comic states that Perrin and Sarek married in 2327.

RIKER: I remember studying his career in school. The treaty of Alpha Cygnus Nine, the Coridan admission to the Federation, the Klingon Alliance.

Alpha Cygus Nine is only mentioned here (another episode has an Okudagram cameo). Coridan is of course from "The Journey to Babel."

PICARD: I met him once, many years ago, very briefly at his son's wedding.

Whether or not this is a reference to Spock is a complicated matter. The novels make it clear that it was and that Spock was engaged to Saavik. This took place in 2328 or 2329 (Picard is referencing the engagement ceremony, remember that the initial bonding is more than an engagement and less than a marriage), the actual wedding didn't take place until 2344. Don't ask me why adult Vulcans would have a prolonged engagement.

MENDROSSEN: Which is why it is imperative that he be allowed to conserve his strength. I must request that you dispense with any formal activities normally associated with a visitor of his rank.

Besides the Mozart concert and a formal reception, what would be appropriate for a visitor of his rank? A kal-toh tournament in his honor? Inviting him to lead a lecture? Including him in senior staff briefings?

Or maybe I'm just used to TOS ambassadors who keep sticking their noses in places that they don't belong.

WESLEY: Yeah, I have a date.
LAFORGE: A date? With who?
WESLEY: Ensign Dumont.
LAFORGE: Really? She's very attractive. I've got to admit, Wes, I'm a bit surprised.
WESLEY: What, that she'd go out with me?
LAFORGE: No, that you'd actually have the nerve to ask her. Way to go.

Cute scene.

PERRIN: My husband has taken an interest in your career. He finds it to be satisfactory.
PICARD: My word! High praise from a Vulcan.

Nice touch.

WESLEY: Since when did you become an expert on women?
LAFORGE: Compared to you, every male on this ship is an expert on women.

An interesting question, who's the biggest loser when it comes to women? At this point Wesley's biggest relationship was with Salia, and Geordi has only fallen in love with a hologram. Wesley will go on to be with Robin Lefler, while Geordi only has Aquiel on his dance card. I'd say Geordi is the biggest loser. Other opinions?

WESLEY: Well at least I don't have to find my women on the holodeck!
LAFORGE: What did you say?
WESLEY: You heard me!

This isn't fair. Geordi didn't create the Brahms hologram to be a date, he just wanted someone less mechanical to talk to.

DATA: I have been programmed to reproduce the individual musical styles of over three hundred concert violinists, including Heifetz, Menuhin, Grak-tay and Tataglia. Do you have a preference?
PERRIN: Tataglia would be lovely.

I don't like this. If you want the Tataglia version of Mozart, you can ask the computer to make one. Data is supposed to be using these prior artists as teachers, not just reproduce their performances.

CRUSHER: I thought you were going to be at the concert last night.
WESLEY: I said I may be going. Suzanne wanted to go to the arboretum.
CRUSHER: Captain Picard asked me where you were. I don't like making excuses for you.
WESLEY: Excuses? Come on, Mom. It wasn't an official function.

Lots to unpack here. Can Picard order the senior staff to attend diplomatic functions when they're not directly involved? Does Wesley count as a senior officer for such functions anyway? Did Picard make it clear to Wesley that his presence was desired?

SAKKATH: Counsellor Troi is a Betazoid?
DATA: Half-Betazoid. Her father was human.
SAKKATH: Then she is not a true telepath?
DATA: Her skills are empathic in nature.

So Sakkath doesn't want Troi spilling the beans about Sarek, fair enough. But I'd think the level of her abilities would be in a profile somewhere that Sarek (and his staff) can access. This won't be the first or last time someone tries to get information out of Data under the assumption that Data wouldn't find their behavior weird. It's getting old.

DATA: Extensive. The Captain's first diplomatic contact dates back to
SAKKATH: And what of his knowledge of the Legarans? Would he be able to conduct negotiations with them should the need arise?
DATA: Do you foresee such a circumstance occurring?

I thought Sarek was the only member of the Federation that's even talked with these people, and it took forty years to get the relationship to "let's talk officially" levels. I don't think Picard could substitute in this case.

TROI: Vulcans possess telepathic ability. Sarek may unintentionally be projecting intense emotions onto other people, at random.

This is one part of the plot that I never liked. Vulcans have always been presented as touch-telepaths, with the farthest from that being using other materials as a conduit or extremely short-range through the air. The Enterprise is a kilometer long and way too big for a Vulcan to broadcast emotions unless they are literally holding the Stone of Gol.

PICARD: And when the Legarans beam on board?
CRUSHER: They could very well be affected too.
PICARD: Is there a treatment?

There must be way to sedate a Vulcan into a sleep so deep that they don't emit telepathic signals. At least enough for the Legarans, I get the feeling that they aren't typical humanoids if they like to sit in hot mud.

DATA: Captain Picard is not satisfied with Ki Mendrossen's assurances that the Ambassador is in good health. Do you consider Sarek capable of carrying out his mission?
SAKKATH: Have I given you cause to think otherwise?
DATA: You have voiced certain reservations to me about his abilities.
SAKKATH: I do not recall making such a statement.
DATA: Not directly, no. But you did question me about the diplomatic capabilities of both Captain Picard and Counsellor Troi.
SAKKATH: I am honour-bound to help Sarek carry out this mission. That is the only answer I can give.
DATA: Then you must decide which is your greater obligation. Your loyalty to Sarek or your duty to the Federation. Can you accept the logic of continuing this mission?
SAKKATH: Tell your Captain the mission is in jeopardy.

It's always fun to see somebody out-logic a Vulcan.

PICARD: It's ironic, isn't it? All this magnificent technology and we find ourselves still susceptible to the ravages of old age. The loss of dignity, the slow betrayal of our bodies by forces we cannot master. Do you still want to be one of us, Data?

Can modern Trek even come close to this level of philosophy?

SAREK: The Legarans trust only me. They will not meet with any other member of the Federation. I must be allowed to complete my mission! There are no other logical solutions!
PICARD: No other logical solutions? But Ambassador, there are always other solutions. You have said so yourself many times.
SAREK: What I meant was that
PICARD: Sarek of Vulcan would never be afraid of looking straight at something he did not want to see.
SAREK: I warn you! Your efforts to discredit me will not succeed!
PICARD: Sarek of Vulcan never confused what he wanted with the truth.
SAREK: I will not be spoken to in this manner!
PICARD: Do I hear anger in your voice?
SAREK: It would be illogical for a Vulcan to show anger! It would be illogical! Illogical! Illogical! Illogical!

Brutal, Picard. Brutal.

PICARD: He loves you very much.
PERRIN: I know. I have always known.

Nice touch.

SAREK: We shall always retain the best part of the other inside us.
PICARD: I believe I have the best part of that bargain, Ambassador.

And people have the nerve to say that TNG is boring.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.