View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Well, after all the rave reviews about BSG, I decided to watch it. I caught last week's episode (1x05) and this week's (1x06). And it was okay, but I'm not sold out on it like other people.
Stick with it. It takes up until the season finale to match the high calibre of the first two episodes, which were great. I've seen all 13 eps now, and although I quite enjoyed 1x05 I found 1x06 to be one of the weakest of the bunch. Still beats most sci-fi with a large stick, but BSG has done and will do far better.

They actually comment on their camera work in the features I mentioned; apparently the idea is to make it more documentary-style, to take it out of sci-fi and make it more realistic -- a general goal of the series overall. I have no problem with that, and it's an interesting take. As for the rapid action, part of that I think has to be due to the density of the plots. The second episode, "Water," was a full act too long on the first go round and had to take a lot of chopping, which would probably result in less pauses during the action. I like that it moves so quickly; it keeps you on the edge of your seat... though if you're just picking up the series, I can see how it might be a little jarring.