View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 11:07 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi
Default Battlestar Galactica 2003 - no spoilers, don't worry

Well, we're at the halfway point of season one here in the UK and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed by this show. I was expecting more action than we've been getting, but that doesn't really matter, because really this one is all about the characters. I was also initially skeptical, because I generally am about remakes of shows, but they've taken the concept and really gone off in quite a different direction than the original - instead of the somewhat cheesy melodrama (which was admittedly fun) of the original, we now have gritty realism, something that feels like it might actually be happening, which I don't think is something you could really say of BSG78. You can really believe that the fleet of survivors is the last of their race, fleeing from a ruthless enemy whose intentions we don't even really know! The short, twelve episode seaon that the producers have gone for also helps things, I think - we're presented with a very tightly scripted arc, with very little in the way of what might be termed "filler". So far there has only been one episode that hasn't pertained directly to the central story (the one starring Richard Hatch, interestingly, so make of that what you will). There are many many unanswered questions so far, and little in the way of explantion, but it's been done in a way that doesn't irritate, but rather keeps you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see whats going to happen next. In short I think it's the best SF on TV at the moment, and probably will be for a while to come.

Anyone planning to watch this when it airs on Jan 14th in the US?
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants