View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
October 18th, 1968, "Is There in Truth No Beauty"

MIRANDA: Larry, please, try to understand.
MARVICK: I understand that you're a woman and that I'm a man, one of your own kind, and that Kollos will never be able to give you anything like this. (he kisses her but she doesn't respond) Why did I ever meet you?

Now there's '60s gender politics for you: Women are supposedly supposed to respond to the advances of any man, provided that they aren't utterly hideous. Ick.
Ick indeed.

Quote:
Jones: What's that printed on your visor?
Spock: "Kollos is a loother." It's a poor attempt at inter-fiver humor.

Can someone explain this one?
The "Koloth is a loser" hats from "Trouble with Tribbles" and elsewhere, with a lisp.

Quote:
Jones: Spock can't join with Kollos! I want to join with Kollos! I'll fly the Enterprise out of the void!
McCoy: Unfortunately, blind people can't pilot the Enterprise.
Jones: Well, one day we will!
McCoy: Uh-huh. Suuuure, you will. And after that happens, I'll let you be chief medical officer of the Enterprise.
Jones: I'm holding you to that.

Ha ha.
Sometimes these "funny in hindsight" references are a bit awkward or flat, but this one was done really well. The whole fiver is pretty good.

Quote:
Summary of the purpose of the five year mission in the early days of production, from The Making of Star Trek via the Straight Dope forum:
5. Are there colonies from Federation members other than Earth or not?
Early on, I'm not even sure the Federation or Starfleet were things. The Enterprise started out as a ship of the United Earth Space Force or some such.

Quote:
October 25th, 1968, "Spectre of the Gun"

The Episode

* Why is the Enterprise trespassing in another nation's space? They aren't at war, trying to find allies. They aren't looking for a rare mineral or medicine that is needed immediately.

* If Kirk really wanted to make it clear that he came in peace, he should've stayed at the border of Melkotian space and asked for permission to enter.
Agreed on both counts.
Quote:
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Twenty-third century, PHJ. I'll need an explanation of the cattle rancher/three nuns thing.
I suspect it's just a generic "racy joke" that's been westernized.

Quote:
November 1st, 1968, "Day of the Dove"

Fiver (by IJD GAF)

Chekov: Wow, there's no indication that there was ever a colony here at all!
Kirk: Whoever did this must have cover-up technology on par with the ancient race who planted all those dinosaur bones in the soil of Earth!
McCoy: You mean the Deithons of Geocentrus VII?
Kirk: Yeah, those guys.

Could we have an explanation for this reference?
Deithons from Deity, Geocentrus from Geocentrics, planted dinosaur bones from deity-worshipping scientifically backwards types who need the Earth to be a few hundred thousand years old to fit their theology. (There's a similar reference in Hitchhiker's Guide when Slartibartfast mentions putting the dinosaur bones in the crust of the new Earth being built.)

Quote:
Kang: (over the comm) Ha! We now control engineering and life support. Say goodbye to your precious "oxygen".
Kirk: Er, don't Klingons breath oxygen as well?
Kang: Nonsense! We can survive on pure élan!

"Elan" seems like a big word for a Klingon. Mara must've bought him word-of-the-day toilet paper...
Heh. It's a very parody-Klingon attitude, though. Romulan too. Meanwhile Earthers can survive on pure technobabble.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs