View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 AM
You just activated his Trek card

SPOCK: This is Commander Spock, science officer. Destruct sequence number two, code one, one A, two B.
SCOTT: This is Lieutenant Commander Scott, chief engineering officer of the USS Enterprise. Destruct sequence number three, code one B, two B, three.
KIRK: Computer, this is Captain James Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Begin thirty second countdown. Code zero, zero, zero, destruct zero.

It's nice that they reproduced the TOS destruct sequence for STIII. Isn't it nice when the creators care about their own history and continuity, not changing things that don't have to be changed?

BELE: It is obvious to the most simpleminded that Lokai is of an inferior breed.
SPOCK: The obvious visual evidence, Commissioner, is that he is of the same breed as yourself.
BELE: Are you blind, Commander Spock? Well, look at me. Look at me!
KIRK: You're black on one side and white on the other.
BELE: I am black on the right side.
KIRK: I fail to see the significant difference.
BELE: Lokai is white on the right side. All of his people are white on the right side.

And...? So...? But...? Therefore...? I'm not seeing the argument here, which is a key reason why the racism allegory sort of falls flat. In the real world we have racism because of more substantial (if illogical and unethical) reasons. At least claim that the black-right-siders invented fire/gunpowder/nuclear bombs/warp drive/whatever first or the white-right-siders were lazy/hippies/Amish-ish throughout history. SOMETHING.

UHURA: It doesn't make any sense.
SPOCK: To expect sense from two mentalities of such extreme viewpoints is not logical.
SULU: But their planet's dead. Does it matter now which one's right?
SPOCK: Not to Lokai and Bele. All that matters to them is their hate.
UHURA: Do you suppose that's all they ever had, sir?
KIRK: No, but that's all they have left.

A great moral, if a bit hamfisted.

The Fiver

Captain's Log: We will soon begin "Operation Detox." Once we reach the planet Ariannus, we shall commence decontamination by rubbing a special gel all over its --

Assuming that this is referring to sanitizer gel, that doesn't really "detoxify" anything. A good joke if a bit illogical.

Spock: But Captain, it might be dangerous.
Kirk: Who do I look like, Captain Esteban?

Nice Search for Spock reference. He was a real shmuck.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.