Thread: The Who
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatac
Because you know where it fucks up? After the second verse. Because then it rocks out, and that totally doesn't work. Everything before that gets sung by other people because it's good and powerful, but the rest you can dropkick into the next trashcan without feeling remorse.
I beg to differ (civilly). I wouldn't like "Behind Blue Eyes" half as much without the bridge -- it's what gives the song character. The first two verses are good, but they're good at something lots of songs are good at: whining. For someone who loves passionately, that's only half the story. You turn inward, yes, but you also lash outward. "Behind Blue Eyes" gives equal coverage to both.

(The Barenaked Ladies song "Call and Answer" uses a similar idea, but it's even more bipolar. Nearly the whole song is conciliatory, but the coda is threatening. Worth a listen.)

By the way, while I had a passing familiarity with "Behind Blue Eyes" before, I didn't really get into it until I heard Giles sing it on Buffy. Too bad we didn't hear him do the whole thing.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction