View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

I've mentioned it in a couple of other threads, but you better frakkin' believe I'm watching it. It's far and beyond the best Sci-Fi series I've ever encountered -- though I'm the first to admit I've got a rather limited range of experience. I absolutely love it. I tried to be patient with Space, but Sci-Fi in the U.S. is a week ahead of us, and I've finally caved to pulling the SkyOne eps off BitTorrent because I just can't wait for them to air.

The writing is fantastic and shows a respect for the intelligence of their viewers that's a rare commodity nowadays. (John Wells, I'm talking to you and your Subtitles for Dummies.) There's so much to like -- the pacing (edge of your seat), the effects (seamless and jaw-dropping), and the cast (wow). None of the characters melt into the background; they are all brought to life and seem very real and three-dimensional. They can all wordlessly and subtly convey emotion at the drop of a hat, and Edward James Olmos as Adama kicks ass in every scene he's in. It's a rare treat to see such a strong ensemble cast that even if they don't all get equal screentime you barely notice since they make the most of the scenes they have. The plot is gripping, and pulls you in to the catastrophe these people are struggling through. On the whole, it easily rivals the best of DS9 or TNG.

Thankfully, the odds are that Sci-Fi (and SkyOne) have more brains than UPN -- since "33" was the highest rated program for a first quarter on Sci-Fi, ever, we'll likely be seeing a lot more of this gem.