View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 04:44 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Although I enjoyed this one (despite missing the crucial seconds where Archer explains why Enterprise is involved at all, leaving me confused for most of the episode), the word that comes to mind is "pointless." Why [iost_uid0]did[/iost_uid0] the Borg have to be on Enterprise? (The phrase that comes to mind there is "May Sweeps.")

Secondly, I think "Regeneration" proves something I've always wondered: you [iost_uid0]can[/iost_uid0] walk on ice only one molecule thick and not break it. My first instinct is to rail on the total, blatant violation of everything we ever learned from "Q Who?". But I'm not sure the temporal paradox doesn't explain it -- the Borg going back in time in [iost_uid0]First Contact[/iost_uid0] could have changed what Starfleet knows about the Borg. But then, shouldn't that have already happened by "Q Who?"

My head hurts.

I did have a few other nitpicks. Phlox's cure seemed a little too convenient. Starfleet having all those scans of the Borg is way too far past continuity, even given the FC time loop -- I'm sure they could have found a way around that. And shouldn't the assimilation been faster? These are Borg from the 24th century, after all, and every assimilation I've ever seen is much faster than the slow progression we saw here. (Okay, so Phlox said he slowed it down... but then why did no one ever figure this out in the 24th century?) And how did the "Borg" ship get all the way to Enterprise that fast? Hasn't Enterprise been travelling away from Earth, more or less, for almost two years? Even with the Borg modifications they couldn't go near that far, that fast.

That all being said, I enjoyed this one. A lot. The crew's initial lack of caution has consequences, and John Billingsley turned in another fantastic performance as Phlox dealt with his own "infection". I liked Archer being forced into blowing up the "Borg" ship.[/colorost_uid0]