View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

While the percentage of teenagers partaking in abortions may not be as large as that of other groups (I'd like to see a link on this, if you have one), I still think the best way to solve the abortion problem is by educating teens.

Especially when one considers that America's rate of teen abortions to teen births is actually relatively low. Yeah, we've got a lot of abortions going on. But that's only half of the picture.

Also, by educating teenagers we are effectively educating the whole nation. Okay, perhaps plenty abortions are performed for older women. But older women were teenagers once. It's the same solution as increasing the literacy rate. You work on increasing standards of education in the youth.

Ultimately, I think of abortion as a necessary evil. It happens too much in this country, and the U.S. (and indeed, the whole world) needs to work on reducing how many abortions are "required" of women. But if a country can get these rates as low as possible, then I think having medically available abortions is a necessity. It's far better than the alternative. As soon as abortion is made illegal, then it changes from a clinical, relatively safe procedure into an almost unfathomable act relegated to barbaric means. I don't want to see it become this. Think of how much worse it could be as a black market affair.

As long as the rates are as low as possible, then I think it's a necessary evil. And if it's against a person's morals, then nobody's forcing it upon anyone.

All that said, I still think the teen pregnancy question is ultimately more important than the abortion one.

I'm really damn tired right now, and probably incoherent. If I just lost all resemblance to intelligence, then perhaps I'll make up for it later. Or not.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!