View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 01:29 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Regarding Kira's initial ambivalence about the holodeck...

PNQ: Isn't it a little short-sighted to claim that "anything worth doing in the holosuite can be done better in the real world?"

How many holodeck programs replicate things that could reasonably be done in the real world?

I should note that I'm just talking about recreational programs here, not training programs.

Off the top of my head I can only think of one: Yar creating a sparring partner in "Code of Honor." There must be other martial arts practitioners on board she could spar with.

Everything else requires an environment that's sufficiently alien to ship's conditions, dangers too great to be allowed onboard ship, etc.

The episode in question is "Second Skin", where Dax and Kira were supposed to go antigrav sailing. This sounds like something they could do on Bajor, but would it really be worth a six-hour runabout ride both ways?

Which leads to another question: would Kira's belief count as a reasonable accommodation? i.e. she's entitled to take a runabout to Bajor once a week to experience fresh air and do whatever recreation she doesn't want to do on the holosuite?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.