View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 04:38 PM
You just activated his Trek card

The Fiver

Barclay: Duty calls, sweetheart.
La Forge: What?
Barclay: Uh, that was Humphrey Bogart you heard, sir. I'm watching an old movie.

"Duty calls, sweetheart" appears in many old movies, but I couldn't find a Bogart one.

Riker: Barclay's hopeless, Captain. I think we should transfer him to the U.S.S. Elba.

Of course the joke is about Napoleon's exile on Elba, but as it turns out Elba is also a city in Alabama that happens to be a suburb of Enterprise. Of course Marc didn't intend this, but it's an interesting coincidence.

O'Brien: See what happens when I send a test object through the transporter? It comes back as a pile of twisted junk.
La Forge: Yikes -- that's scary enough to a give a person transporter phobia. I'll ask Barclay to take a look at this thing right away.

I'm pretty sure Barclay already had transporter phobia, but that's okay. One wonders how any Starfleet engineer can use the thing comfortably, the "knowing what goes into the sausage" effect, so to speak.

La Forge: But why do you have to use us as your characters? Why don't you simulate -- well, for instance, the crew of a nice Intrepid-class starship or something?

The Intrepid class won't enter service for another three years, but of course the ships must've been under construction by now. I still don't like DS9's implication that a starship can be built top to bottom in like a year.

Holo-Picard: Will you be erasing all of your programs?
Barclay: I might keep just one as a souvenir.
Holo-Troi: Have you decided which one?
Barclay: Probably "Vulcan Love Slave, Part Two." I find T'Pol's hot-lube rubdowns to be very relaxing.

Eww. I'd hardly equate decon get with "hot-lube" anyway.

Memory Alpha

* Some think that the episode is a satire of obsessed Trekkies. I don't see it. Why fantasize about playing Three Musketeers with Starfleet officers when you can actually play Three Musketeers with the actual Musketeers?
* On DS9 O'Brien and Worf refer to the events of this episode, even though neither of them saw Barclay's holodeck programs. While I could imagine O'Brien making allowances for Barclay, Worf would never cut him the slack that Geordi had to.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.