View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Regenerating like a Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Okay, although I concede this whole "self-evolving" thing might be the best bet for a self-aware computer, I assert that this is EXACTLY what you don't want to happen. Think of Deep Thought. He wasn't even fully hooked up and he already knew about rice pudding and income tax! What's to stop a self-teaching computer from reaching the point of "these dirty bags of mostly water are so self-contradictory that they're not worth obeying"? I have no problem with an assembly line robot being able to figure out the most efficient way to perform an assembly line text, but you don't just give a robot total Internet access and step back.
You don't give a human child total Internet access and step back, either.

If computers/robots/machines/Tamagotchis ever reach the level of complexity that they can be self-aware, IMO they'd be as good as human, only with more batteries and less pooping. As such, anyone with a self-aware AI would pretty much be a parent, and some parents just suck. Others, though, are totally awesome.

Good parents teach their kids about morals, responsibility, and all that other stuff that stops most humans from going BSI* and killing everyone. I guess I just don't see the robotic sentience issue as any more different than organic sentience.

*B = Bat, and I = Insane.
Church: I'm just worried, man, who knows if this stuff is contagious? For all we know Caboose could be next. Wake up tomorrow morning he's throwin' up, runnin' a huge fever, next thing you know he's bleeding out of his eyes 'cause his internal organs are liquifying. And I'm gonna be the one that has to hold his hand while he screams himself to death. That's not gonna be any fun.
Caboose: I'm gonna go take a vitamin.