View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Watching "Trials and Tribbleations" again...

PNQ: Why do both Spock and Dax assume "one tribble, multiplying with an average litter of ten, producing a new generation every twelve hours over a period of three days."?

Cyrano Jones must've arrived with at least a few dozen tribbles, right? Let's assume that he knew about the need for minimal feeding for minimal reproduction and the population exploded only upon arriving at K-7. Therefore the 1,771,561 estimate has to be multiplied by at least a factor of ten, right? And given his dialogue with the bartender, he must've had at least a few dozen for sale immediately, right?

I'm also reminded of Childcraft's proof that vampires don't exist because if a vampire has to turn someone else into a vampire every so often, there wouldn't be anyone other than vampires within a short passage of time.

Incidentally, someone did the math about how much volume the tribbles would occupy and concluded that there would be almost two hundred feet of tribbles above Kirk's head, which would kill him when they landed. Of course this is ridiculous, there was hardly only one compartment and Sisko and Dax showed that there wasn't much grain left and the tribbles were only a foot or so deep.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.