View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Long fellow

Quote:
Fine, you tell me what the purpose of the folding nacelles was.
I have no idea. Canon is silent on this point. I mean, asking me what the purpose of the folding nacelles was is like asking me why there are two separate stages for flux chillers or in what year Pancho opened the Happy Bottom Riding Club. There is no answer. There is only speculation.

Incidentally, my speculation is that Pancho bought the lot in 2369, right after the UFP took over, but didn't finish relocating from his old location at the Antares Shipyards until after the end of the attempted Bajoran coup in 2370. But that's pure speculation, a flagrant interpretation based on the two facts we know about Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club. But Abrams should feel free to override me on that, and other interpreters of canon should feel equally free to ignore my speculation and substitute their own, which might suggest that Pancho joined the Promenade near the end of the Occupation. We can do the same thing with the VOY nacelles.

Because speculation ain't got the canonical weight of the virtual paper it's written on.