View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]I want to know how Shinzon managed to extricate his ship from the Enterprise instead of simply dragging it along.[/quoteost_uid0]
He just backed up, possibly angling down-and-back a little. The [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] hadn't "hooked" into Shinzon's ship any more than an ax hooks into a tree. Right? :S

I thought the movie was passable. Patrick Stewart seemed a little, well, "off" at the reception. And there were some definite plot holes and the like, which I may have already mentioned here. The thing that bugged me the most, I think, was the [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0]'s lack of action in the nebula. It just doodled along while being attacked, and did almost no fighting back and precious little in the way of even [iost_uid0]attempting[/iost_uid0] to evade incoming fire. I realize the warp drive and all was knocked askew by the first shots (how 'bout them shields? They make the Rams' defense look good :eyeroll, but they didn't even try. And later on, when the bridge gets wrecked, everyone just stands around, unconcerned about another hull breach. Isn't that one of the things that the battle bridge is good for? They certainly had the time to shift their operations there.

Here's a major reason why I liked this movie a lot more than others did: I shuddered inwardly a little every time Picard and Shinzon got into a discussion because I dreaded the prospect of hearing a great deal of corniness come out of the TV. But for the most part, I think they pulled those scenes off very well! They should probably have played up those scenes more than they did. They could have gone deeper into the subject of "would Picard have acted as Shinzon did", for example. I don't expect a definitive answer to that question--I'd prefer that they didn't arrive at a facile answer--but that was a major theme, and as such should have gotten more screen time than it did. There were comments and questions I expected to hear from both of the two men that I didn't; those might have been included. They could have cut out some of the other stuff, like Troi's interaction with the Reman guy, to make room for that.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs