View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Long fellow

Default The Original 5MV (*5*MV!) Inspiration

Quote:
Q: Ahh. Time for the site-related questions, then. What made you think of Five-Minute Voyager? Was it peyote?

No. Once, when my Grade 10 English class was studying Twelfth Night, I saw something called "Five-Minute Twelfth Night" on the teacher's desk. I only got to read the first two scenes before she pulled it away (refusing to tell me where the heck it had come from), but they were funny enough to make me think there was real potential in that idea. The notion sort of sank into my mind for a while, re-emerging three years later in the summer of 2000. Voyager's sixth season had just ended, and I and the folks at Deltachat were looking for amusements to kill the time; on a lark, I decided to try this five-minute thing on "Caretaker." It was well-received, so I did "Unimatrix Zero I," and things just snowballed from there.
I just recently saw a book called, The Five-Minute Classics in the bookstore, including all sorts of very brief narratives that spoof other works. It was marked as the sequel to the book, The Five-Minute Shakespeare. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this and knows whether it's related.

Good night.