View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Nan"][quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"]"Warped"? Yes, that's pretty good. But it's also quite dark...IMO, the best stand-alone DS9 novels (that I've read) are "Warchild", "The Long Night", and possibly "Warped".[/quoteost_uid0]

Warped, yes, that's it. Warchild and the Long Night have a somewhat similar style... though I saw the "twist" coming in Warchild from the beginning, sadly.[/quoteost_uid0]
Well, I didn't. If you go to just a little trouble to disguise your twists and don't use any old cliches I'm overly familiar with, I'm usually pretty easy to fool. :smile: But if I catch you out, well...it's probably bordering on awful if even I notice it, so you probably deserve whatever happens next. :O

[quoteost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I've seen several posts on TrekBBS that denigrate Carey. I generally enjoy her stuff, though I really disliked "Ship of the Line". But I enjoyed reading "The Great Starship Race", and "First Frontier" (which I've been rereading for a freelance fiver) is quite readable too, if you can get past (and comprehend) the twist that gets the plot going. I guess Carey might be kind of like Vonda McIntyre: there are many who really enjoy her work, and many who despise it.[/quoteost_uid0]

I don't really mind her OTHER stuff, but I don't like the style she uses in Trek. The whole "explain things continually to the reader" style really bugs me! It's used really often, particularly in Trek. I prefer the style wherein the author plunks you down in a universe and you understand things by absorbing and sorting things out yourself. 'Dr. "Bones" McCoy and Captain James T. Kirk were great friends, blah blah blah." You can figure that out yourself without disrupting the flow of the story and wasting page space.[/quoteost_uid0]
I agree. That can be quite annoying. But I haven't really noticed that tendency with her. She does tend to heighten the tension by a similar process, I think.

[quoteost_uid0]Read "The Murdered Sun." Is "Incident at Arbuk" the one with the really arguementative people?[/quoteost_uid0]

[iost_uid0]Spoiler->[/iost_uid0] [color=whiteost_uid0]Yes.[/colorost_uid0] [iost_uid0]<-Spoiler[/iost_uid0]

Somebody's maligning Heinlein in the movies thread , so I'll add that I really like most of his short stories I've read. (We have a collection of them downstairs that is entitled "The Past Through Tomorrow".) He has an expository style of writing, and it could easily come off as irritating, but it works for me.

While we're on short stories, anyone else read any of the Cameroi (Camaroi?) satire? The two I've read are quite funny. [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs