View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"]"Warped"? Yes, that's pretty good. But it's also quite dark...IMO, the best stand-alone DS9 novels (that I've read) are "Warchild", "The Long Night", and possibly "Warped".[/quoteost_uid0]

Warped, yes, that's it. Warchild and the Long Night have a somewhat similar style... though I saw the "twist" coming in Warchild from the beginning, sadly.

[quoteost_uid0]I've seen several posts on TrekBBS that denigrate Carey. I generally enjoy her stuff, though I really disliked "Ship of the Line". But I enjoyed reading "The Great Starship Race", and "First Frontier" (which I've been rereading for a freelance fiver) is quite readable too, if you can get past (and comprehend) the twist that gets the plot going. I guess Carey might be kind of like Vonda McIntyre: there are many who really enjoy her work, and many who despise it.[/quoteost_uid0]

I don't really mind her OTHER stuff, but I don't like the style she uses in Trek. The whole "explain things continually to the reader" style really bugs me! It's used really often, particularly in Trek. I prefer the style wherein the author plunks you down in a universe and you understand things by absorbing and sorting things out yourself. 'Dr. "Bones" McCoy and Captain James T. Kirk were great friends, blah blah blah." You can figure that out yourself without disrupting the flow of the story and wasting page space.

[quoteost_uid0]I haven't read her "Equinox".[/quoteost_uid0]

Dear lord, DON'T. The novelization hacked out everything that made the episode worth watching for me. Actually, see the episode and then read the book. Then you'll understand.

The "Captain's Table" novel she did left me gagging simply from the lack of Janeway-consistent content. Mind, if anyone's been written really inconsistently it's been Janeway. Insert YABB here.

[quoteost_uid0]My favorite stand-alone VOY novels are "The Murdered Sun" and "Incident at Arbuk".[/quoteost_uid0]
Read "The Murdered Sun." Is "Incident at Arbuk" the one with the really arguementative people?

[quoteost_uid0]The Zahn trilogy is the best-written of the Star Wars bunch, but the Corellian trilogy might be the most entertaining for me. But even it definitely has its deficiencies.[/quoteost_uid0]

*splutters*
D-d-d-deficiencies...? That series hurt my brain.

[quoteost_uid0]I haven't read any of the other series you've mentioned. [/quoteost_uid0]

Stay AWAY from the X-Men novelization! It should be burned for the public good!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention (shame on me) the [iost_uid0]Stargate[/iost_uid0] novelization by whasiface and whassisname. I thought it wasn't bad. I'm not sure if the novel came before or after the film, but it doesn't suffer too many of the usual failings of a book "based on the screenplay by so and so."

Oh YEAH! CLARKE! What the hell is wrong with my brain?

I have most of the 2001 series, but I haven't read them yet. Also have "Cradle." Looks promising.

C'mon, Sa'ar, the star-mangled spanner thing was GREAT.

I read a bunch of stories from an anthology of his, but I had to bring it back to the library before I could finish. I like that he works his science out really carefully. Unlike certain OTHER people, no names mentioned due to the sheer number. Insert YABB here. Insert venom spitting to many other people here.

Niven's [iost_uid0]Ringworld[/iost_uid0] is supposed to be good. Anyone read it?

There's a book I've seen in my library (I work in it, as a page AKA book stacker) that about a sort of afterlife, and one of the characters is Alice Lidell. Liddell. Liddel. The inspiratrix for Carroll's Alice of "Alice in Wonderland." I think it's the Riverworld series. Anyone read it?

POST AMAZON SEARCH: The Riverworld series is based on the concept that all humans from the beginning of time are reincarnated after death in Riverworld, a place with a river ten million miles long. No one knows who made Riverworld or why they are there. The books are:

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
The Fabulous Riverboat
Quest to Riverworld
The Magic Labyrinth

[iost_uid0]From AudioFile
Philip Jose Farmer wrote fantasies that appealed primarily to imaginative male adolescents of the last mid-century. In this one humanity wakes, naked, to an every-man-for-himself afterlife. A tribe forms, consisting of, among others, daredevil explorer Richard F. Burton, Alice Liddel (the inspiration for ALICE IN WONDERLAND), a space alien, a Neanderthal, and a twenty-first century anthropologist.[/iost_uid0]

I dunno. I don't have the time to read it, but it sounds cool.

~Nan[/colorost_uid0]