View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 04:51 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"Warped"? Yes, that's pretty good. But it's also quite dark...IMO, the best stand-alone DS9 novels (that I've read) are "Warchild", "The Long Night", and possibly "Warped".

I've seen several posts on TrekBBS that denigrate Carey. I generally enjoy her stuff, though I really disliked "Ship of the Line". But I enjoyed reading "The Great Starship Race", and "First Frontier" (which I've been rereading for a freelance fiver) is quite readable too, if you can get past (and comprehend) the twist that gets the plot going. I guess Carey might be kind of like Vonda McIntyre: there are many who really enjoy her work, and many who despise it. [iost_uid0]Spoilers->[/iost_uid0][color=whiteost_uid0](I'm sorry, but "Enterprise: the First Adventure" was baloney. As soon as that lady made the comment about "My one wish in the whole entire universe is blah blah..." it was pretty clear what was going to happen.)[/colorost_uid0][iost_uid0]<-Spoilers[/iost_uid0] But Diane Carey can really get me into the story. I mean, in "First Frontier" she [iost_uid0]Minor spoiler->[/iost_uid0][color=whiteost_uid0]turns an attempt to lean over and grab a pencil into a legitimately titanic, white-knuckled struggle![/colorost_uid0][iost_uid0]<-Minor spoiler[/iost_uid0] I haven't read her "Equinox". Wesley Thompson is another very good ST author. He wrote "Debtors' Planet" and the aforementioned "Infiltrator". Oh, another great TOS novel (if you can get ahold of it) is "Uhura's Song". My favorite stand-alone VOY novels are "The Murdered Sun" and "Incident at Arbuk".

The Zahn trilogy is the best-written of the Star Wars bunch, but the Corellian trilogy might be the most entertaining for me. But even it definitely has its deficiencies.

I haven't read any of the other series you've mentioned.
And it's all right to mention fantasy, let's just not get too deep there or I may go off on a ten-page spiel on why Brian Jacques is one of the best authors of all time... :lol: [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs