View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

Hm... I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm hoping that the answer lies, as with so many things, in the Simpsons. In the words of Lisa: "Don't worry, Bart. It seems like every week something odd happens to the Simpsons. My advice is to ride it out, make the occasional smart-alec quip, and by next week we'll be back to where we started from, ready for another wacky adventure." ("Aye carumba!" "That's the spirit.")

The Crystal Ball of Cliché predicts that T'Pol gets hitched, but by the end of the episode she finds out something nasty about her new hubby (among other things, he's not Trip and hates pecan pie), and ends up in the Dominican Republic getting a quickie divorce. Never to be spoken of again.

On the other hand, to me good writers on a T.V. show take risks, rather than putting the characters through meaningless, easily forgotten events every week. Having events with consequences makes a series meaningful... think DS9 with its major arcs versus Voyager with the plots pretty much interchangeable between weeks. The death of Trip's sister is a good example, as is T'Pol's "AIDS".

...No, wait. Well, whatever, guess we'll have to wait and see.