Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 02:47 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Route of the 1701 during TOS S2&S3

Talk about zig-zagging. One thing that I have a problem with is how close they go to the modern (i.e. 24th century) borders of the Cardassian Union and the Ferengi Alliance. All of the major powers besides the Klingons and Romulans (and minor powers like the Tholians and Gorn) should be far away from space explored in TOS. In fact I don't think the Federation even extended far enough to encounter the Cardassians and Ferengi until the 24th century.

It's also sad how many TOS planets haven't been depicted on "modern" starcharts since the '70s. You'd think all of this would've been established fairly early on in the Pocket Books era.

One of these days I really have to go episode-by-episode to see how many of the 1701's missions were really pure exploration (or at least, a result of being the closest ship when major events happen i.e. "The Trouble with Tribbles") and how many involve serious deviations from the regular patrol course. For example, "Amok Time", "The Ultimate Computer", and "Journey to Babel" would've involved major deviations.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.