View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
Are the inhabitants of Orange County business magnates and their kin? Business types tend to go conservative for financial reasons.
Business money is certainly a factor. Some of the earliest major development, as on the Peninsula south of San Francisco, was by people who made money building the railroads, or could afford to take advantage of them. The yachting marinas at Newport, etc. were built by these folks. The newer developments, inhabited more by tech-industry types, tend to be the sort of country-club communities that probably figure in The O.C. (but I dunno -- I've never watched.) Fiscal conservatism isn't all that's going on, though -- look up Tom Metzger to see another kind of element that's played a part.
Quote:
I've heard Marin County is both very wealthy and very liberal, but I dunno much about the demographic information. Probably people who made money using a background in humanities.
Marin has a liberal reputation, to be sure, but it's not exactly universal. Sausalito is certainly very artsy-fartsy and many of the other cities are pretty laid-back and open-minded, but some of the more remote areas are pretty determinedly conservative, or at least libertarian -- they just aren't noisy about it.
Quote:
Sure is pretty to drive through, though.
Oh, yeah. Nice.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)