View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I never read the thread when it was first posted, and it's since been deleted.

Well, this movie wasn't *quite* as bad as I thought it would be. Â It certainly wasn't as horrible as Insufficient, although it wasn't in the league of First Contact, either. Â I'l organise my thoughts by character.

Picard: Who was this guy? Â Although it was interesting to see the jovial, good natured best man at the wedding, the macho idiot driving the dune buggy around was a complete stranger. Â He must still be feeling the effects of the fountain of youth from the last move. Â Speaking of dune buggies, there were two words that were never mentioned while they were blowing up pre-warp aliens: Prime Directive.

Riker: Why does the tall man have a furry face? Â And when did the trouble and strife let him grow the beard back? Â By the way, the song you were trying to remember is Pop Goes The Weasel.

Data: He sings. Â Again. Â And then explodes. Â There are several hours of movie in between those two events.

Worf: Poor guy got used as comic relief, filling the Gimli Role. Â He still can't hit anything with a phaser. Â He should stick to martial arts; he's murder with a mek'leth or just his bare hands. Isn't he supposed to be the Federation ambassador to Cronos at this point? Â Why's he wearing Starfleet fatigues? Â I can understand him being at the wedding, but serving on the bridge? Â Possibly there's a scene which explains it that didn't make the Director's Cut. Â I have no idea which version I watched.

Geordi: He seems to have been relegated to Sensor Officer. Â He didn't spew any engineering-related technobabble at all; it was all about androids.

Troi: She actually did something useful. Â I think her current hairstyle is much more attractive than that horrible curly bun she was sporting around the fifth season. I find her hotter now at 40+ than I did when she was in her 30s.

Dr. Crusher: Was she even in this movie? She is beginning to show the effects of age.

Wes: Poor old Wil got jerked around by Berman regarding whether his scene was going to be included. Â Wil never did tell me how Wes appeared at the wedding.

Janeway: *Admiral* Janeway? Â They promoted her over Picard? Â Great Bird, why?

Shinzon and the Remans: Interesting character, although his dramatic scenes with Picard tended to be one-note themes, saying the same thing over and over and over again. Â "You're me!" Â "No, you're me." Â "Be nice!" Â "Be evil!" Â Also, I don't think any Trek fan expected the other Romulan homeworld to be inhabited by a slave race of non-Romulans. Â It suppose the Remans could be a race the proto-Romulans conquered when they settled the system after leaving Vulcan, but all references to "the twin homeworlds" made it seem that both were populated by the same race.

Then again, maybe it was all clever Romulan disinformation.

They never adequately explained just *how* the Romulans got Picard's DNA, when they got it, how old Shinzon is, why the Romulans cared about a relatively minor starship captain who'd had his previous command shot out from under him, and just where in the hell they found Dr. Soong's protoprototype android and why nobody ever mentioned it before, Dr. S. included.

Space battle: I think this movie contained the first-ever references to ventral and dorsal shields. Â It was nice to finally see a space battle fought in three-dimensional space, rather than a two-dimensional plane with stars. Â One wonders, though, why the Reman ships had Earth names like Scimitar and Scorpion. Â Must be the Universal Translator.[/colorost_uid0]