View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 03:20 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

IJD, I think you said "pro-choice" when you meant "pro-life" a couple of times there. Could be wrong, but it seems to make more sense that way. [ED: He's fixed it now. - Z]

As for your point, it's well taken. It would be a lot safer, not to mention more realistic, to try and phase out abortion by bringing the pregnancy rate down rather than banning it outright. And if we were talking about something like smoking, I'd agree.

But abortion is unique in its sheer severity. Every day abortion is legal in the States, nearly 4000 are performed. (The worldwide figure is around 125 000.) For anyone who believes abortion is murder, this is a horrific, unconscionable situation. And unless it's proven that more people will die if abortion is made illegal, we can't talk about phasing it out. It has to stop. Every extra day that takes us is another 4000 deaths.

To use your metaphor, no, you don't try to stamp a bonfire out with your foot. But you don't wait for it to die down either -- because who knows if it will? You have to douse it with water, and the sooner you start, the less chance the blaze will get even worse.

(I guess I've proven your point about pro-lifers inevitably getting "emotional." Unfortunately, this is an inherently emotional issue. It can't be reduced to numbers any more than slavery or ethnic cleansing can.)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction