Thread: February 15
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 04:15 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default February 15

Starting tomorrow we'll be focusing on one subsite for a while, so I want to get a couple of things moving beforehand.
    [*]First, here's Derek's latest SV fiver, "Tomb."[*]

Second, I've started two important threads in the 5M.net Talk forum. Be sure to check those out. One is for eTrektion candidates, but the other is something on which I need as many readers' input as possible.[*]

Third, my Fans! CDs arrived today! Attentive readers will know of my love for Fans!, a brilliant webcomic by T Campbell. It ended its remarkable five-year run last April, and T recently announced that the archive CDs would no longer be available for purchase, so I got them while I could. (The archives are also available online; you need a GraphicSmash subscription, but if you haven't read Fans!, the subscription is more than worth it for that comic alone.)

To mark the occasion, I'm publishing something here that I wrote when the comic ended: The Top 10 Problems Rikk, Ally, and Rumy Are Going to Have. The context is as follows: the longest-running plot thread in the comic was the love triangle between protagonists Rikk, Alisin, and Rumiko. In the last week of strips, T resolved this triangle in an extremely unexpected way, creating his biggest controversy to date. I was an active participant in the debate (on the negative side -- I thought, and still think, all three of them were out of character), and at one point, to inject a little levity, I wrote this Top 10 list poking fun at the whole thing.

I didn't post it here at the time because it makes no sense to non-Fans!-fans. I'm posting it now for three reasons: I think it's one of my funniest lists ever, the arrival of my CDs felt like a sign, and there's precedent now for hopelessly obscure T10s. Enjoy -- unless you haven't read Fans! and intend to, because this'll spoil you stupid.[/list]Be here tomorrow for a VERY special weeklong event, of a sort we've never done before. Let's just say Drusilla would call it the best party ever.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction