View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:30 AM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

"Amok Time"

Originally aired September 15, 1967, as the start of the second season of Star Trek. Also called one of the essential episodes of the series, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

No fiver? Awwwwwwww...
Transcript
Memory Alpha Page

The episode:

* The Spock feature episode that set up so many things about Vulcans, or as someone would say, “backfilling”.
* Hi, Chekov, nice of you to finally join the rest of us. Your hair looks funny though.
* Geez, Spock, could you stomp a little bit more on Chapel’s poor heart? Talk about kicking the dog throughout the episode. To her credit, Majel played this really well.
* The Vulcan set is one of the best in TOS, hands down.
* The fact that both Kirk and McCoy speak with admiration about T’Pau here is quite impressive. There are not many places in the first season of TOS where they speak this positively about any female, other than to be basically a prop for a male. Not sure if this was something that was scandalous back in the 60s, but as a historical perspective this may be a pretty significant action: they acknowledge that there are powerful women out there, even ones that demand respect of the men.
* Is it just me, or does Kirk seem a little, “Duh, okay” once the wedding party arrives?
* Insert obligatory reference to the fight music here.
* The end excuse that the Enterprise gets for diverting to Vulcan seemed a little tacked on and unnecessary. Then again, some of the excuse stuff to divert the ship throughout the episode seemed unnecessary and just trying to build tension. Though shoutout to T’Pau’s influence that she can divert starships on important missions.

Memory Alpha:

* Some of the original script details might have helped the episode along, admiration for T’Pau or not.
* I never noticed that the thick painted stripes on the corridors were added on this season.
* Out of all things, why does MA not have a page of all the places where the fight music is directly played?
* The actress playing T’Pring agreed with me saying it was a good set. Also was originally going to be Doctor Dehner from “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. Interesting.
* The fact that this episode was one of the ones considered for the DS9 “Trials and Tribble-ations” scene where Sisko and Kirk would interact would have been hilarious, as it would have been a good play on fandom and what actually meeting a fictional character like Kirk would go like from a fan stuck in the same spot, in the turbolift with Kirk just looking at them like a babbling idiot. I do agree with the final assessment that the scene they ultimately went with was good, though, as it was meant to be more touching than jabbing.

YouTube:

The entire fight scene
Just the music
”I shall do neither. I have killed my captain… and my friend.”
Spock smiles!