Thread: February 7
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default February 7

The Doctor Who update is finally here! This is what you might call a micro-event -- it's just one day, but features two important fivers, representing the first and latest episodes of the current Who series.
    [*]Part one is "Rose," my first Doctor Who fiver. This was first slated for the 5MDW launch in June, and in fact I got about a third of the fiver written around then. (Believe it or not, this isn't even close to my record for time difference between parts of a fiver.) Attentive readers will already have noticed that I love this episode, as I've referenced it more than once in other stuff.[*]Part two is "The Christmas Invasion" by Scooter. This between-season special was our introduction to the Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant. (It also introduced an alien race called the Sycorax -- bonus points for anyone who remembers another alien by that name!) Parts of Scooter's fiver make more sense if you know that there's a spinoff series called Torchwood coming up. We don't know much about it yet except that (a) it features Jack Harkness from last season, (b) "The Christmas Invasion" seems to have sown some of the seeds for it, and (c) the title's an anagram of Doctor Who.[/list]So that's our double feature. The pairing couldn't have worked out better -- you'll notice that Scooter and I use nearly identical gags at one point. It's pure coincidence (neither of us had read the other's fiver when those bits were written), but it looks like inter-fiver continuity. Score!

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction