View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaru
No more cheesy innuendo, or silly plot twists. I even plan on drafting a banned plot lines list. Even representation of characters is also high on my agenda, with each character recieving at least 2 character development episodes. As well, those developments will be passed on to future episodes.
Just 2 character development episodes?

Don't you understand character development? Character development is the most important aspect of a TV series! Every episode should develop all of the characters equally and they should keep those developments forever.

Ideally every episode should focus on the characters sitting around in the mess hall talking to each other and becoming self-actualized as people. Some people might say this would be boring, but if you have really interesting characters, you don't need a plot.

And continuity is important too. In these "mess hall chats" I think it would be good if every episode could pick up exactly where the previous left off. What's more, great care should be taken to make sure that the characters never contradict themselves, since people in real life never contradict themselves. And if a character ever changes his mind or his views, it needs to be a big event with special music and long shots at the character's conflicted face.

People say DS9 was big on character development, and I agree it was a good start, but wouldn't it have been so much better if instead of warships and stuff like that, we just had the Female Shapeshifter, Weyoun, Kai Winn, Dukat, Damar, Brunt, the Nagus, Martok, Ross, and all the DS9 crew sitting around Quark's and just talking with each other? Then we would've really understood the Founder's motivations.

So I agree, who cares about plot twists and cheap action sequences? Let's have some REAL character development.